My first tropical tank - Stocking advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allinthegame83

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

Im new to the forum. Firstly Ive found the articles and advice on here extremly useful (y)

Im setting up a freshwater tropical tank. Ive been itching to get started for a while and a colleague was upgrading to a larger tank. The tank isnt as large as id like (dimensions and volumes below).

Tank is 40cm(w) x 20 (d) x 45 (H). Holds 36 litres/ 7.9 gallons.
I set it up on Friday and have started a fishless cycle. Ive not got any live plants in the tank.

Ive been researching what fish to get and simply cant make up my mind! I realise its a small tank and a lot of the fish id like need bigger tanks. Long term Im going to get a larger set up but for various reasons its not practical at the moment.

What Id ideally like is a set up with a bottom dweller and a school of 5/6 fish (ideally I would add a betta to this but realise this adds extra complications plus from my reseach the tank would be ok for a beta by itself maybe not with others). I like the look of various tetras (esp Neons).

Has anyone got any suggestions on what fish to stock? Rough ideas of quantities/species would be great :)

Any advice would be much appreciated :thanks:

:welcome: to the forum!

As you have realized, with a small tank, your options are limited. But, there are still some good ideas out there!

I would put in about 6 endler's livebearers and a dozen red cherry shrimp. However, if you want to do that you will have to put in plants because the shrimp need cover.

Buds got a good idea with the endler. They are very much like guppies, so nice and colorful. Not schoolers but enjoy the company none the less.

You could do a planted shrimp tank on it's own. I used to think they were so boring but after some research and seeing some videos I've become a huge fan!

A single betta, male or female.

A dwarf puffer perhaps, though again it's solitary so may not be what you are looking for.

There may be some options in nano fish. They are small schooler suitable for small tanks unlike other schoolers like neons. Though can be hard to come across. Some popular nano fish are celestial pearl danios, ember tetras and chili rasboras.

Thanks for the replies.

I've not really considered shrimp... They may be an option in conjuntion with somthing else. Will look into them. I dont think Ill go down the shrimp only root soley for the reason I want some fish!

I very tempted by a solo Betta. Would there be anything else compatable with a Betta in that size tank? Im a big fan of bettas so Im tempted to go down that root.

Had a quick look at endlers livebearers. There a definate option. I like the look of them.

The pygmy puffer is one cool looking fish! Not somthing Ive come across to be honest. Are they hard to keep?

Im starting to think that this tank is simpy to small to do what Id like...!

Im glad I came on here as I asked my the owner of my localshop about stocking the tank and he said 5/6 Neons would be fine in that tank. Im quite surpised as everyone Ive spoken to gives the shop glowing references!

Thanks for the replies.

I've not really considered shrimp... They may be an option in conjuntion with somthing else. Will look into them. I dont think Ill go down the shrimp only root soley for the reason I want some fish!

I very tempted by a solo Betta. Would there be anything else compatable with a Betta in that size tank? Im a big fan of bettas so Im tempted to go down that root.

Had a quick look at endlers livebearers. There a definate option. I like the look of them.

The pygmy puffer is one cool looking fish! Not somthing Ive come across to be honest. Are they hard to keep?

Im starting to think that this tank is simpy to small to do what Id like...!

Im glad I came on here as I asked my the owner of my localshop about stocking the tank and he said 5/6 Neons would be fine in that tank. Im quite surpised as everyone Ive spoken to gives the shop glowing references!

People really differ on opinions on neons, many tetras really. People feel that because they are little fish they do well in little tanks but to me they are very active fish as well. I won't put them in anything smaller than 15. I have some in my 20 and they really make use of the space they have.

I have a 20 gallon tall right now and am antsy about getting my 50 because my 20 can't do what I want. lol. It's not hard to get sucked into this! lol.

I do not know much about the puffers, I believe they aren't too hard to keep. Good water quality is important though. I had never heard of them until I came across this site and am holding out hope to stumble across one in the LPS one of these days. lol

There is no guarantee with a betta and tank mates. some are very tolerant of tank mates while other won't even allow shrimp in the tank with them. It's just trial and error sadly. In a tank that size I wouldn't suggest anything other than snails or shrimp. If you try shrimp I would probably think about a couple amano I think. They are a bit bigger and probably less likely to become a betta snack.

Ive decided to go with the single Betta option...many thanks for all the advice guys :thanks:

@librarygirl - yes, ive read the fishless cycle article, very useful.

Back
Top Bottom