MY FISH ARE DYING! (3 Deaths, Might be one today)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thunderwaved

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just spotted it like this today. It also has a little bit of finrot. I put it in a quarantine tank and put some aquarium salt.

I tested the water.
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Total Ammonia: 2.0
Free Ammonia: 0 (Prime)

50 gallon tank.

A few fish died this week when I did a 50% water change, I removed them immediately from the tank. Doesn't seem to be fin rot causing the problem. I don't spot any bacterial infections...

Some help?! I can't watch him lying helplessly gasping in the quarantine tank. :(

Ammonia above .25 is highly toxic. Water changes will be your best bet at this point. 80% ish frequently to dilute the concentration. Did you cycle the tank? What size tank? What fish?

Ammonia above .25 is highly toxic. Water changes will be your best bet at this point. 80% ish frequently to dilute the concentration. Did you cycle the tank? What size tank? What fish?

I just found out that the fish had some bladder problems. I stopped feeding him. I'm doing a 50% water change.

It has been setup for about 1 1/2 months. I don't think it has cycled yet.

had a feeling you hadn't cycled yet. it takes approx. 8 weeks to cycle your aquarium . your right on at tail end of it, you should be cycled in a couple weeks. but i am suprised that you don't have any nitrite at 6 weeks usually at 6wk. you should have high nitrite and your ammonia should be on the decline. cutting back the food will help, PWC's will help to. the best thing to do at this point is to let it take its corase. being very careful not to leave any left over food in tank. testing your water once a week until your nitrate / ammonia are at zero. then you may slowly start adding new fish.

Good luck!

fishman

Back
Top Bottom