My fish are sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased 3 goldfish, with a new tank and everything

Then my fish started spending a lot of time at the top of the tank gulping air. I looked it up and it's something to do with ammonia? They reccomended replacing 25% of the water and doing this daily for about a month.

After a water change I noticed the fish starting to act erratically, rubbing their sides on the gravel and now they are all sitting on the bottom of the tank and not really moving. I don't know what's wrong!

It's my first time owning goldfish and I don't know what I need to do to sort these problems out!

I recently purchased 3 goldfish, with a new tank and everything Then my fish started spending a lot of time at the top of the tank gulping air. I looked it up and it's something to do with ammonia? They reccomended replacing 25% of the water and doing this daily for about a month. After a water change I noticed the fish starting to act erratically, rubbing their sides on the gravel and now they are all sitting on the bottom of the tank and not really moving. I don't know what's wrong! It's my first time owning goldfish and I don't know what I need to do to sort these problems out!

Was your tank cycled? Do you have a heater? How big is your tank? Are you using a water conditioner? Can you post some pictures?

No my tank was not cycled. I was not aware this had to be done and the pet shop owner never mentioned anything. I found out that it had to be done only when I got home. I don't have a heater or water conditioners.

The tank is about 40 litres I believe?

Here is a photo
1373823_10151953842707848_391131853_n.jpg

I recently purchased 3 goldfish, with a new tank and everything Then my fish started spending a lot of time at the top of the tank gulping air. I looked it up and it's something to do with ammonia? They reccomended replacing 25% of the water and doing this daily for about a month. After a water change I noticed the fish starting to act erratically, rubbing their sides on the gravel and now they are all sitting on the bottom of the tank and not really moving. I don't know what's wrong! It's my first time owning goldfish and I don't know what I need to do to sort these problems out!

Buy Prime water conditioner if you don't already own some. Buy a master Test Kit. Test your water before and after the water changes.

Do a large water change, 50-75%

Make sure the new water is same temperature AND put Conditioner in the new water before adding to tank so you don't forget. Prime is 2 drops per gallon and you can add extra to get rid of Ammonia without any harm.

Keep changing water till Ammonia is a safe level.

If this is a 10g tank, take back all the goldfish and clean the tank ( no soap) and start over.

3 Goldfish need a Minimum 40-60g to stay clean and thrive. If they are Common or Comets then they need a Pond. They need 2-3x extra filtration. A 40g should have a filter rated for an 80-100g for example.

Read about Cycling.

Stores sell stuff, they don't always know the best advice or care. Some stores are excellent, most aren't :(

It sounds like Ammonia poisoning and then perhaps not enough conditioner to make tap water safe ??

Goldfish get BIG, they poop a LOT and they can live a LONG TIME with good care and proper sized environment.

Fancies can live 15+years and get over 6" body length without tail
Comets can live over 25 years and get 10-12" or larger.

The record for age is 43 years
The record for length is 18.9"

Buy Prime water conditioner if you don't already own some. Buy a master Test Kit. Test your water before and after the water changes.

Do a large water change, 50-75%

Make sure the new water is same temperature AND put Conditioner in the new water before adding to tank so you don't forget. Prime is 2 drops per gallon and you can add extra to get rid of Ammonia without any harm.

Keep changing water till Ammonia is a safe level.

If this is a 10g tank, take back all the goldfish and clean the tank ( no soap) and start over.

3 Goldfish need a Minimum 40-60g to stay clean and thrive. If they are Common or Comets then they need a Pond. They need 2-3x extra filtration. A 40g should have a filter rated for an 80-100g for example.

Read about Cycling.

Stores sell stuff, they don't always know the best advice or care. Some stores are excellent, most aren't :(

It sounds like Ammonia poisoning and then perhaps not enough conditioner to make tap water safe ??

Goldfish get BIG, they poop a LOT and they can live a LONG TIME with good care and proper sized environment.

Fancies can live 15+years and get over 6" body length without tail
Comets can live over 25 years and get 10-12" or larger.

The record for age is 43 years
The record for length is 18.9"

Welcome to AA!!

Great advice! I agree with the advice Coursair has offered here. Unfortunately, the realistic options here are either investing in a much larger tank and doing a fish-in cycle or returning the fish and researching fish appropriate for a 10g tank. The symptoms you are seeing are the result of ammonia and possibly chlorine/chloramine poisoning. Below is a link to starting a freshwater tank and it covers all the basics, including fishless and fish-in cycling. If you would like to keep goldfish, I can post some additional information as well. Please ask any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

No my tank was not cycled. I was not aware this had to be done and the pet shop owner never mentioned anything. I found out that it had to be done only when I got home. I don't have a heater or water conditioners. The tank is about 40 litres I believe?
You don't always need a heater, but I'm shocked the store didn't at least sell you a Dechlorinator/Conditioner. Not blaming you. Welcome to AA and we've all made mistakes. Keep reading and research before you add any new fish if you decide to stick with your small tank.

Just save your Goldfish by immediately buying conditioner or return them which may be for the best for now.

It is very sad that pet stores do not at least provide basic information to new fish owners, so they have a fighting chance to get it right before the fish suffer or die, and the new owner feels terrible about it.

At least you started doing research, best done first, but always better than not doing any at all. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom