My Fish In Cycle :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
Hey, Hey, Hey! Found my camera charger!!! Well, just checked all my stuffs. Bustin out a wc since the is the first time Ive seen ammonia in like 3 days!? could it be the new fish already?

Yup more fish more bio load. It doesn't take long. You just have to watch more closely now because in a cycled tank you really won't see ammonia. Example; I rarely see ammonia. I don't test everyday but I bet if I go test right now I won't have any ammonia. Your BB once established will eat it all up. Your using Prime right?

Also your levels look good and your ammonia isn't that bad. A water change won't hurt anything so go for it. pH looks on the money. Things are looking good Jess.

Convict2161 said:
Yup more fish more bio load. It doesn't take long. You just have to watch more closely now because in a cycled tank you really won't see ammonia. Example; I rarely see ammonia. I don't test everyday but I bet if I go test right now I won't have any ammonia. Your BB once established will eat it all up. Your using Prime right?

Also your levels look good and your ammonia isn't that bad. A water change won't hurt anything so go for it. pH looks on the money. Things are looking good Jess.

Awesome! Thank you! I do use Prime :) I'm tryin to snap some pics but these dudes are quick m they are digging the new rocks :) I can't wait for 48 hours to go by so I can put the others in! I gotta admit, they didn't turn out like I wanted :(

Ok, tons of pic! So here is the count as far as I know (or what I have been told!):

2 Labs
1 Afra
1 Kenyi
1 Red Empress
1 Red Zebra
1 pseudotropheus elongatus ornatus (Female)

And then I got the new dudes today :)

Attachments

• 195.jpg
    195.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 206.jpg
    206.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 226.jpg
    226.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 37
More...

Attachments

• 236.jpg
    236.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 245.jpg
    245.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 42
Wow Jess!! Nice shots!!! Love the fish!! Your gonna want to put more hiding places for them so they can get away from eachother when they want to. Stick with your rock scape plan. It's gonna look awesome.

Tank and fish look good though. Keep it up!

Convict2161 said:
Wow Jess!! Nice shots!!! Love the fish!! Your gonna want to put more hiding places for them so they can get away from eachother when they want to. Stick with your rock scape plan. It's gonna look awesome.

Tank and fish look good though. Keep it up!

Thanks! I'm working hard for them :) I got 2 structures built ill get a pic for ya! It wouldn't go back together the way I had it :( and I had silicone EVERYWHERE! It was tougher to build it then I thought it was gonna be :/ 48 hours n I can get em in!!

Convict2161 said:
That's why I fell in love with the Cichlid stones. Nothing in my is glued down expect the Anubias lol.

I definitely didn't know what I was getting myself into that's for sure!! I love my new blue guy he's a beast :)

I'm thinkin I may need to order another box of rocks tho.cuz I think I'm gonna move the structure that's in there now to the corner and pile the stones on top. I'm gonna get back to the store and buy a large one if they have it.

Last edited:
AND I already want a bigger tank.... But there is no way I can talk other parties involved in letting me have one :/

AndrewsPistol said:
Ok, last ones :)

ATTA girl !

Really good pics! Nice camera but nicer fish... The blue is beautiful. But for sure, as convict said, Yo will need more hiding spaces soon.

Keep up with the good work. You will love the end results and you will enjoy your tank a lot...

ejaramillo01 said:
ATTA girl !

Really good pics! Nice camera but nicer fish... The blue is beautiful. But for sure, as convict said, Yo will need more hiding spaces soon.

Keep up with the good work. You will love the end results and you will enjoy your tank a lot...

Thank you!!!

AndrewsPistol said:
Hey, Hey, Hey! Found my camera charger!!! Well, just checked all my stuffs. Bustin out a wc since the is the first time Ive seen ammonia in like 3 days!? could it be the new fish already?

Let me tell you that the color looks yellow to my eyes, like no ammonia. But you should have a better view. On top, another PWC doesn't hurt at all.

Cool new additions. Congrats.

Get over to a local landscape store and get some rock. Much cheaper than buying it from fish shops.

I paid a high price for my lace rock, but I just love how it looks.

Remember to be careful with stacking a bunch of rock up high, it could crack your tank if it was to fall over into the glass or onto the substrate. Many of your fish will make burrows in the substrate down to the glass, leaving it susceptible to rocks colliding into it if falling.

P1180990.JPG

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Just a low lying structure of rocks running from left to right in the tank. (Ugly picture, I just got the 125 setup in this pic and didn't have my black background up)

I don't really like having too many borrows because the fish will become really defensive over their spot. In my tank they usually just swim around without a real 'territory' and don't have to fight over much.

Just pay attention and make sure to locate your 'tank boss'. He'll be the most colorful (dominant) male in the tank. He will establish a territory (usually near the middle of the tank) and defend it. If he chases fish to no end, or ends up killing a fish or multiple fish, you may need to re-home HIM. A good tank boss will defend, but not hurt, other fish unless there is a real challenging male trying to establish himself as the boss. I have absolutely no real aggression in my tank because my dominant male breaks up any sort of other fish trying to 'fight'. He will literally see it happening and swim up and make them stop. He doesn't want another fish 'rising in power' per say.

(I learned a lot about Cichlid behavior after watching a bunch of biologists videos on his research of these fish)

Back
Top Bottom