my fish is depressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steallan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fish likes me as his owner so much he's miserable.

We have 3 goldfish, 2 small ones about 2 inches long, and a larger 7 inch long one. The 7 inch one we've had for years and has always been very healthy, but for about a week now he's sat still on the bottom of the tank doing nothing and barely responding to anything. He still eats in the morning when fed, but then goes back to sitting on the bottom of the tank.

The other two fish are fine. we've had them for about 2 months, and they all seamed happy together for that time, but the big one has now been sulking for a week.

He is a normal goldfish, and the other two smaller ones are fan tailed goldfish. He doesn't appear to have any visable signs of illness other than the depression, his fins are down and his tail and body all limp. It really is like looking at a depressed human, if a human had fins and a tail.

Tank is the same it's been for ages. About 60 litres. Cold water, no idea of the temp or nitrate levels. Nothing appear to have changed to the tank to cause this change in behavour. Obviously we changed and cleaned the tank to see if that'd perk him up, but it made no difference.

We've given the water fin rot treatment for about 4 days now, no effect. Also tried Velvet treatement before that, no effect.

Any ideas on what the problem is??

Food wise we feed them freeze dried regular flakes, the same as we've done for years. We've got some bloodworm to give them tomorrow for a change to see if that effects him.

I would be very grateful for any assistance. We've had this big fish for years now and would be gutted if he passed on.

Thanks

Ste

Sounds like he might enjoy a bigger tank. 3 goldfish in a 60l is pushing it. They need at least a 150l. It would give the bigger one more room to swim.

A 7" common in a 60l is cramped. That size fish belong in a pond, or at least a 4-6' long tank.

However, lethargy can be due to many things, and water quality is a good place to start. Esp. with introducing new fish, you might have upset the bio-filter balance & having a mini-cycle. <Maintaining an overloaded tank like yours is tricky & they can easily crash if you upset the routine ... >

Other possible causes - low O2 in water, parasites, esp. in gills, temp. problem, or internal bacterial infection. But I think the first thing to do is check the water.

I agree ^^^

Fish suffer from illness issues and water conditions, not emotional issues. Except for that one crazy ram I had.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom