My fish is eating tadpoles O.o

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedRain5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an all native tank and thought it would be neat to have some tads in it. I herd that fish usually avoid eating tadpoles so I figured it would be ok.
My bream has taken to chomping down on the lil tads. I'm a bit concerned will they make him ill. I know some frogs have toxins in their skin is it the same for tads?
It's not like he's starving I feed him well and from time to time he has a school of bite sized snacks swimming around for him to munch at leisure so what's up with him eating the tads?o_O

All of the native frogs in the U.S. are completely harmless, I am not including Toads in this group though. They are a great food for helping them show their best colors as are Nightcrawlers.

Most fish are omnivores....if an insect larvae or tadpole is small enough to swallow, it is likely to become food.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about toxins. All the North American frogs are harmless. There are some salamanders that are toxic (rough skinned newts spring to mind), and toxic toads (cane toads)...but I think the tadpoles themselves are probably safe for fish to eat.

Back
Top Bottom