My fish slowly keep dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allisonzim28

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29gal with what was 6 small assortment of fish that got along and was approved by a highly rated fish store (tetra, platy, and a shark/catfish guy). However, after having them about 2 month, one by one they are slowly dying off :( the shark was the happiest, energetic, most peaceful fish as of yesterday and I got home today to see him swimming side ways and will stop moving for a little and float around, then struggle to swim correct again (he just looks sick and losing color and I know he'll be dead soon.) I used a master tester and all my levels are with in normal ranges and I do regular partial water changes/gravel sweeps... What could be wrong?? Please help anyone :[ I want to save the remaining fish.

I have a 29gal with what was 6 small assortment of fish that got along and was approved by a highly rated fish store (tetra, platy, and a shark/catfish guy). However, after having them about 2 month, one by one they are slowly dying off :( the shark was the happiest, energetic, most peaceful fish as of yesterday and I got home today to see him swimming side ways and will stop moving for a little and float around, then struggle to swim correct again (he just looks sick and losing color and I know he'll be dead soon.) I used a master tester and all my levels are with in normal ranges and I do regular partial water changes/gravel sweeps... What could be wrong?? Please help anyone :[ I want to save the remaining fish.

How often are regular water changes ?

Have you added any decorations ? Seashells ? Rocks from outside ?

What kind of Shark/Catfish ?

What temp ?

What are exact readings of the tests ??

What temp? Yes decor can sometimes poison them. Also any air sprays in the same room as fish can kill them. Did you change filters at same time as water change?

And if any are schooling fish theybcan die from stress.

And what kind of tetra and what kind of shark. Some aee small amd some are huge. Hope that fish guy didnt screw u over.

Last edited by a moderator:
How often are regular water changes ?

Have you added any decorations ? Seashells ? Rocks from outside ?

What kind of Shark/Catfish ?

What temp ?

What are exact readings of the tests ??
like coursair said we need to know your water parameters, how long is the tank setup, is it fully cycled.

I guess my post didn't send. Ammonia is .25 ppm, nitrite is 0, pH is 6.4 I know it's on the low side do you think that's enough to kill them? The master test kit says they can live in 6.0-9.0. Oh and temp is 75 degrees. The sharks a coby and the tetra is a serpae.

Get your amonia to 0 do a 25% water change see if that helps

Not to hijack but is yellow green color blind a thing the API test always looks .25 to me but the lfs guy says its 0 and this is when dealing with returning dead rummys so if anything I think he would say its high, I need to find a different kit that is clear at 0 and neon pink at .1

Ammonia really needs to be 0 the ph depends on the fish your fish could need it higher. Try salifert or red sea test kits.

Back
Top Bottom