My fish, the great gravel movers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunsplash76

Aquarium Advice Regular
Cichlids! Love them! Anyone who keeps them knows their personalities just sparkle. My cichlids give me so much enjoyment and entertainment. 2 of the 3 fish in my tank are big time gravel movers. Just thought I might share a pic of those 2, doing what they do best. I'de be interested to see a pic of other fish doing some weird stuff, anyone got a funny pic?
~Melissa~

EMS503 has a Maroon and Gold Clown in one of his tanks that cleans the gravel by sweeping it with his tale. He'll also move plants if he doesn't like their location by carrying them in his mouth. It's pretty funny to watch him.

crayfish

my blue crayfish when he's not climbing the plant is pulling it up and i think even trying to eat it (it's plastic!)

Ed

I don't have a pic of it, but mine do crazy stuff too--it's funny to watch the big oscar carrying gravel off of the slate, and while he is enroute to his dump location, the little convict runs in and puts as many back as he can before running to hide when he sees the big O coming back, he will do it over and over and over. It's hilarious!

I have one also...

WhenI feed my pleco, I place an algae disc into a log where the pleco hides, and one of my oscars always takes the algae and places it at the opposite end of the tank. I always have to grab the food and then place it back into the log. My oscars play with the algae disc, throwing it up into the air and then catching it. They are funny guys. :lol: :p :p :lol:

We've got an orange cichlid, no idea what type, that likes to move all the gravel to make a mountain in the tank. Never caught him in the act, just wake up in the morning to a pile of gravel.

Thanks Everyone~
Those are really funny stories. oscars seem to have alot of personality. I would love to find someone with an oscar tank, so I could view them for awhile. Wow, Everything from sweeping the tank with a tail to trying to eat fake plants; we all seem to have some quirky fish. I also experience waking up to half the tank gravel moved into a pile; makes me feel bad to move it back after seeing how much work it was for the poor fish. Thanks for all the great replies, I love hearing about fish behavior!
~Melissa~

i just love oscars! they have the most personality and smarts of any fish i have ever kept, they are in a league all their own! would be cool if you could watch them... :D

Back
Top Bottom