my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike coulson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a green terror a jack dempsey and a red devil. i need to know if i can take them brackish. i have others that require it but i would like for them to be in one tank

Well.. I can tell you from experience that going slightly brackish will not hurt them.. I had to do it to get rid of ich and it didn't even effect my cichlids one bit.. some types of cichlids will thrive in brackish

Well.. I can tell you from experience that going slightly brackish will not hurt them.. I had to do it to get rid of ich and it didn't even effect my cichlids one bit.. some types of cichlids will thrive in brackish

Treating ick with Aquarium salt does not equal the salinity of brackish water set ups. Brackish water set ups use marine salt too!

HUKIT said:
Treating ick with Aquarium salt does not equal the salinity of brackish water set ups. Brackish water set ups use marine salt too!

Hence why I said "slightly" brackish, and I did not use aquarium salt, I used marine.. about 1 cup and 2 tsp of marine salt to every 3 gallons of water..

I would definitely not put any of these cichlids in a brackish tank, it is not how they would live in the wild and even if at first they do survive the length and quality of life could be seriously affected. I'd try to keep them separate if possible.

Back
Top Bottom