My fishless cycle log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 31 (10-15-11)
Ammonia: 0ppm (redosed to 4ppm)
Ph: 7.6+
NitrIte: Off the charts
NitrAte: 160ppm maybe higher
So my ammonia is going from 4ppm to 0ppm but my nitrItes are still off the charts, is that normal, should I do another water change. I did about a 20% yesterday.

It is normal. A 20% water change wouldn't make much difference. You could do a very large one (100% if you can) and try to get nitrites to a level you can read them on the API chart (<2 is good). They may shoot up again tomorrow, that's normal.

Christina717 said:
I was wondering could I take out the seeded media in my tank or will that have a negative affect?

That would be the last thing you'd want to do. That's your main source of beneficial bacteria. I wouldn't consider removing it until the tank is well established.

Ok after doin a 100% water change (well close to 100%) my readings are
Ammonia: .25-1ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm is that normal?
NitrAte: 0ppm is that normal?
Ph: my ph was really high, higher than 8.8 is that normal

Christina717 said:
Ok after doin a 100% water change (well close to 100%) my readings are
Ammonia: .25-1ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm is that normal?
NitrAte: 0ppm is that normal?
Ph: my ph was really high, higher than 8.8 is that normal

A 100% pwc should remove near 100% of the values...so yes, it seems normal except the ammonia. The fact it is still that high tells me that either it was dosed too high again, or you have ammonia in your tap water.

Have you checked your tap water for ammonia and the pH level? It's normal for pH to be different from the tank for a while as it gasses out.

I did check and my tap has no ammonia and a ph around 6.5-7 thats why i bought crushed coral for the tank

So the pH was 8.8 before or after the water change? You may also want to check the tap ammonia level again...it can fluctuate.

Wow my ph from the tap is 8.8 maybe a tad lower but my ammonia in the tap was around .25-1ppm which wasnt in there when i started my tank...that really scares me. will this mess up my cycle...now everytime i do a water change when i get fish it will spike to 1ppm

Christina717 said:
Wow my ph from the tap is 8.8 maybe a tad lower but my ammonia in the tap was around .25-1ppm which wasnt in there when i started my tank...that really scares me. will this mess up my cycle...now everytime i do a water change when i get fish it will spike to 1ppm

Nothing to worry about.

Once your tank is cycled, the bio-filter will easily be able to consume the ammonia added to the tank during pwc's within hours. If you're using Prime it will neutralize the ammonia for the small window of time there is ammonia in the tank.

Fill up a glass of water from the tap and leave it sitting out overnight. If you have an airstone throw it in there as well. We'll see how much your taps pH changes in that time.

day 32 (10-16-11)
Ammonia: 2-4ppm
Ph: 8.6
NitrIte: .25ppm
NitrAte: 20ppm
Temp: 84F
Looking good since the water change, NitrItes are still low and NitrAtes are getting high, im hopeing by tomorrow that ammonia+NitrItes are 0 and there are tons on nitrAtes :D :D

Christina717 said:
There is a lot of movement in my tank. 2 air stones and my filter is on high. I will put a little bit of fish food in the tank. I am also going to take a sample to the pet store to see if they get the same resultes.
Also my Ph has been dropping so something is happening, i do have crushed coral in a pantyhose, and in my filter.
If this doesnt work I might try fish in cycling which I really dont want to do but idk of any other way to cycle my tank.

I would suggest adding a bio booster like stability. It sounds like the conversion should be happening by now but it is hard sometimes to get bacteria to work to your timetable. Once it starts it will happen quite quickly. Generally you will see the nitrite conversion before you notice nitrate unless you are getting some nitrate from your tap water. I would stop dosing with the ammonia (if you are) and allow the bacteria to consume the free ammonia available.

Shane83 said:
I would suggest adding a bio booster like stability. It sounds like the conversion should be happening by now but it is hard sometimes to get bacteria to work to your timetable. Once it starts it will happen quite quickly. Generally you will see the nitrite conversion before you notice nitrate unless you are getting some nitrate from your tap water. I would stop dosing with the ammonia (if you are) and allow the bacteria to consume the free ammonia available.

How do you view it that no conversion is happening if the bio-filter is producing 160ppm of no3 before the water change? By using seeded media it is a common occurrence for the no2 to not hit testable levels except for short periods (if at all).

If you're gonna use a bacteria supplement, why not choose one which actually contains the correct strains of beneficial bacteria found in home aquaria? (which Stability does not)

eco23 said:
How do you view it that no conversion is happening if the bio-filter is producing 160ppm of no3 before the water change? By using seeded media it is a common occurrence for the no2 to not hit testable levels except for short periods (if at all).

If you're gonna use a bacteria supplement, why not choose one which actually contains the correct strains of beneficial bacteria found in home aquaria? (which Stability does not)

Actually I don't think I said the conversion wasn't happening... And to which nitrifying bacterias are you specifically referring, and I would be interested to see the stability ingredient list. It is an excellent product.

Shane83 said:
It sounds like the conversion should be happening by now but it is hard sometimes to get bacteria to work to your timetable. Once it starts it will happen quite quickly.

That sounds like you didn't see conversion happening.

Here's a long thread / argument on Stability. Many people have their own opinions...but the science speaks for itself. It's not necessarily IF it works...but more importantly HOW it works and what any potential consequences may be.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/seachem-stability-168704.html

eco23 said:
That sounds like you didn't see conversion happening.

Here's a long thread / argument on Stability. Many people have their own opinions...but the science speaks for itself. It's not necessarily IF it works...but more importantly HOW it works and what any potential consequences may be.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/seachem-stability-168704.html

I see... And thank you. It is interesting, though unconvincing. But for another thread I think.

Day 33 (10-17-11)
Ammonia: .5-1ppm (18hrs since lased dosed)
Ph: 8+
NirtIte: Off the charts
NitrAte: 20ppm
Do you think I should let the ammonia go to zero so the NitrItes can catch up and convert or keep dosing?

Day 34 (10-18-11)
Ammonia: 0ppm :D
Ph: 7.4 looks like a ph crash?
NitrIte: 0ppm :D
NitrAte: 40ppm
Temp: 84F
I think im really close to being cycled!!!!!! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom