My heater interfering with my T.V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed just last night that my new heater in the 10 gal. is interfering with my T.V. like a heating pad will do..
The heater is flickering and causes static lines on the T.V with every flicker of the on light...

This can't be good . :?

Does anyone know how to fix this? :?:

Get a surge protctor strip and plug into that. Also I'd go exchange it if it is new enough.....
Don't want to come home and tell your insurance agent that the fish tank caught your house on fire...it just sounds fake... :p

It's not necessarily a fire hazard. It's normal for a heater to flicker on and off - otherwise, you'd cook your fish!

When a large-draw appliance like a heater turns on, it often causes interference with TV or radios sharing the same circuit. Didn't you ever notice this when someone uses a hairdryer or when the AC turns on? When I was a kid, my mom used to drive me nuts by running the vacuum during my favorite TV shows! :p

Try putting the TV aand heater on different circuits - if the TV and heater are sharing the same surge protector, there'e your problem.

If that doesn't help, go to RadioShack or an electronics store and ask for a surge protector with an RFI -EMI filter. Tripplite and APC make really good ones. Your TV really should be plugged into a filtered surge protector anyway.

Back
Top Bottom