My letter to Petco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be fair, if he had tried to learn and asked "What's that?" you'd still be here posting about it. :D

Nah I wasn't surprised he didn't know what brackish was, it was the "whatever" that threw me off.

While often frustrating and amusing, you need to keep in mind that a job is a job. It's a retail store...people need to make money, regardless of whether they are an expert or not.

I think we're being too harsh here.

Marconis said:
While often frustrating and amusing, you need to keep in mind that a job is a job. It's a retail store...people need to make money, regardless of whether they are an expert or not.

All too true. But if they don't know what they're talking about, they should be careful what they say. After all we're not talking about selling books or something, these are live animals.

A lot has to do with treatment too. If it were dogs or cats being treated like some fish get treated, they'd be shut down in no time.

Sent from my Epic 4G

My local petsmart if much cleaner, much more fish, in less over stocked tanks, with a very knowledgable staff actually. our petco isnt the greatest but not really a horror story, and they have more exotic, harder to find fish. I am biased towards petsmart though because they are great help with my bearded dragon.

I think at the root of it all, we all just want to see living beings treated with the dignity and decency they deserve and, if people like us don't speak up for them, no one will.

Marconis said:
I don't know about most people's LFS, but for some reason I've noticed that marine livestock tend to be housed in tanks with zero decorations, and just a black background. To me, it makes them more tempting to buy since their coloration pops like crazy against the background. I've also noticed that a lot of marine fish are housed in groups no more than 2 in a tank...perhaps because they don't sell as often? Like I said, though, I'm not sure what it's like at different LFS. My two current ones have marine fish the same way...only the inverts are in an established reef tank.

Oh I was talking about the walmart fish displays. My lfs has them housed in with love rocks, sand, and even a stick (for the fire shrimp though haha)

Tim Wheatley said:
To be fair, if he had tried to learn and asked "What's that?" you'd still be here posting about it. :D

Hahah most likely but I don't care if he asked what it was, what made me uneasy is that he just gave up without trying to look. Don't offer me help if your not going to do it right hahaha

Marconis said:

Possibly too harsh...but take into account that these aren't just a hobby, they're living fish. I'm sure that the fish know when they're miserable. If anyone works in any department, the individual should have knowledge and experience. You don't become an airplane pilot just because you need a job :p

Tim Wheatley said:

Whoops sorry this msg wasn't for me huh :p

I'm afraid all the large chain stores are the same. They don't make money from the fish, they make money from the supplies and water treatments that don't really do anything.
But on an individual basis a store can change, I know because I did it. with out local Petsmart. I still won't get my fish there, but they no longer have tanks of dead fish for all to see.
Will we change the chain stores policy? Probably not, but we can change the stores where each of us we live.
Good for you Dragonfish for speaking out for those who can't for themselves. Please don't stop there, fallow through with another visit. Grab yourself an employee and point out the horrendous state the fish and the tanks are in. I did this with my grandson who burst into tears when he saw how the fish were being treated.
But the people can be embarrassed into cleaning up their act and their tanks.
To do nothing is as bad as those who are mistreating the animals.

Back
Top Bottom