My naso tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwaterking

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a naso tang he's gray black eyes and a yellow fin across his top of it's body and He has big white spots on him and I herd of the ick they get somtimes I'm worried and don't know what to do if he's ok or not

A pic would help. Big white spots don't sound like ich, ich is usually very small white dots, like sand grain sized. What size of tank is it in? Do you have a separate tank you can treat him in? Any other fish in the tank? They will all need to be treated and the display tank will need to be left fishless for weeks, i think 6 weeks? i forget the exact amount of time.

I would put pics up but not sure how to , and yes I have two other fish a domino damsel and a clown fish , had a hippo tang in their before and he died , it was a baby and I herd their hard to care for but I have a 29g biocube

You really have a naso tang in a 29g tank?? There's not one tang of any type should be in a tank that small. He's prolly stressed to no end and your problems are just beginning.

Yupp tangs cannot be kept in a 29 gallon tank, sorry. They will get stressed being so cramped up which causes them to get sick, then die. A six foot tank is recommended for all tangs. I would return him to the store right away and pls don't get another tang for that tank! If you look on liveaquaria.com you can research each fish and what size of tank they need. It has a lot of useful information.

It will not survive as the others said in a 29 gallon tank. I would return it. Did the LFS know it was going into a 29 gallon tank?

Thank u that's helpful no because I bought it used and the tang cAme with the tank , but he's pretty small now maybe 3 inches maybe little less

Does not make any difference on the size of the tank. It`s cruel to have a tang in a 29 gallon tank.

Look up lymphocystis. It's a common viral infection that fish get. We have a tang who has had it and I happened to see a Naso Tang at our LFS with the same symptoms just today. The tangs need room to swim... Not really about the size of the fish. They like to race back and forth along the length of the tank. Ours cruises all day long playing in the current.

three inches is a really big fish for a 29 gallon, even if he wasn't a tang I'd say that's too big. He is stressed which shows because he is sick, he is not a happy fish in that tank. Also remember don't ever try to medicate the main tank.

Yeah I herd that before , u suppose to set up a hospital tank but I don't think he's sick , he's eating he swinging around picking at the rocks I mean for what I can see

Why is that my damsel is
Not aggressive at all and my clown is peaceful as everybody knows so what stress could the tang be in besides the space

Saltwaterking said:
Why is that my damsel is
Not aggressive at all and my clown is peaceful as everybody knows so what stress could the tang be in besides the space

thats exactly it would you be very happy if we put you in a 4x4 cell to call it home and threw in two others with you

While I know the others before me have said it very well, i'll reiterate for fun :)

I did the exact same thing with a hippo tang and I didn't listen. The fish was the size of a dime, I figured it'd be happy enough. I should have taken that fish back immediately. I didn't. That fish died and took my whole tank down with it after it got ich from the stress. I have respected tank sizing ever since. Just because the fish doesn't show visible signs of being cramped, doesn't mean he doesn't feel it. That's one of the bigger tangs, he needs even more room than most.

Flake said:
While I know the others before me have said it very well, i'll reiterate for fun :)

I did the exact same thing with a hippo tang and I didn't listen. The fish was the size of a dime, I figured it'd be happy enough. I should have taken that fish back immediately. I didn't. That fish died and took my whole tank down with it after it got ich from the stress. I have respected tank sizing ever since. Just because the fish doesn't show visible signs of being cramped, doesn't mean he doesn't feel it. That's one of the bigger tangs, he needs even more room than most.

thank you i try not to sound mean or arrogant but i think i did :(

Back
Top Bottom