My neon tetra's keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djarchngl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon that has been having some "green water" problems. I've stopped over-feeding, and reduced the lightsource. I have been doing 20% water changes daily as well, and it seems to be clearing up nicely.

UNFORTUNATELY My neons are dying. Fast.

I had 10. They had no odd temperment and seemed fine. Then I had 8. Then 5, and now 3.

They're not being eaten, because I have a peaceful bunch in the tank:
3 Golden tetras
5 Guppies (2 females)
10 Ghost shrimp
and a few snails.

Is there something I'm missing? I really like the little guys, but If they keep dying, I'm not about to invest in more.

We'll need more information to help. You can also update your "my info" in the profile section.

How old is the tank? What equipment are you running?

What are your water parameters? ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, temperature, etc.

Do you use a dechlorinator during your water changes? what kind? how much?

was anything newly added to the tank when they started dieing off?

Tank is about 2 months old.
I have:
Cascade 200 Power Filter
I run a bubbler on the opposite end for water circulation
I use activated carbon and ammonia neutralizing crystals
My tank runs at about 75 degrees 24/7
I do not use a dechlorinator, but I do have buckets sit, so I get the same effect.
My tank is moderately to heavily planted and no new fish or plantlife has been added lately.
My 2 lights have a light output of 1900 lumens and run on 40 watts.

I have no idea what my ph is.

My experience with neons is they are the frailest fish in the hobby, Have u added these fish recently or have you had them for a while? I have bought small schools several times since I've started out years ago and the same thing happens every time. If i were to add 6 to my tank within a few weeks 3 or 4 of them would be dead and the remaining 2 would live forever and survive anything thrown at them, its really weird but i've noticed this trend several times and a friend has mentioned the same thing happening to him as well. Seems like with neons they either die realtively soon after you buy them or they live for years, theres no in-between.

Mine have been with me for a few months with no problems... I think it's odd how my guppies and fry can live in the same tanks and be so easy to keep, and my neons have such a tough time... That AND I have some golden tetras and they seem to be fine.

I never have luck to keep neon alive for more than two months. I have given up on them. The only thing for my failure I can think of is: pH 7 and moderate light.

i myself dont have luck with them just lost one the other day only had them for a week or so. i have 15 other tetras and they have been with me for long time ph no3 amm levels are fine so i dont understand either. i will buy couple more and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom