My new 55 gal freshwater - PLANTS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
Before I get into my question, I just want to say thanks to everyone for your replies and your various posts on this site, everything has been very helpful.

I'm getting ready to start the initial setup on my 55 gal freshwater. Based on your recommendations, I purchased a Marineland 360 canister filter in addition to the HOB that came with my tank. I purchased some really great driftwood and it's been soaking for about a week, but it's on slate anyway so I can pretty much take it out whenever.

I plan on getting the process going this coming weekend. Right now I just have an empty tank on the stand. My question has to do with live plants.

I'd like to add some easy to maintain plants when I get the substrate and driftwood in this weekend, but I'm clueless on plants. I'd like to get some easy to maintain plants that I don't have to worry too much about.

What are your thoughts? I was thinking java fern for sure. What else should I get and how much? I don't want the plants to overwhelm the tank, but I'd like to have a decent amount of live plants.

Also, I've read that too much filtration can harm plants, is that true? I'm concerned since I have a HOB and canister.

Also, if you have any recommendations on decorations that would work well with driftwood and live plants, I'd love to hear them.

moss java ferns anubias and crypts. what kind of lighting do you have with the tank?

too much filtration doesnt hurt the plants. rocks work well with driftwood and plants lol

Just the standard lighting that came with the tank, I'll probably buy some upgrade lighting very soon. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom