My new Aquafarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might put a background on one side of the tank, to give your fish some security.

I think in general it's an interesting idea. It's aquaculture in miniature.

But I feel bad for the Betta in such a bare tank. I know you gave him a plant. I hope it grows. And I'm glad it's 3g.

Please test the water and let us know how it's going ?

My last Betta was spoiled.10g rimless
View attachment 259542

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok here are the test results.
Ammonia was slight. Little darker than 0 but lighter than .25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate little more than 0 but much lighter than 5

Ph out of tap is 7.6
Ph in tank is somehwere between 7.2 and 7.6

Adding a new IAL piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Temp is about 80. Nice and toasty for betta, but I don't like the new heater.

This is just a smaller version of Aquaponics. Use the waste produced by the fish to fertilize the plants. Enough plants removes all the ammonia, and it returns with less ammonia. My family is thinking about starting one of these systems. 300 gallon totes for the fish, and different beds for the plants...they won't let me pick the fish though for some reason, something about being able to eat fresh tilapia/catfish/perch sounds better than tetras

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is just a smaller version of Aquaponics. Use the waste produced by the fish to fertilize the plants. Enough plants removes all the ammonia, and it returns with less ammonia. My family is thinking about starting one of these systems. 300 gallon totes for the fish, and different beds for the plants...they won't let me pick the fish though for some reason, something about being able to eat fresh tilapia/catfish/perch sounds better than tetras

HA! I'd much rather have the tetras. Tilapia tastes like dirt in my opinion. Will these 300 gallon totes go in a greenhouse then or outside? Your location makes me think you live close to me (IN/IL border) and so the winters are pretty fierce. Or will this be a summer only thing and the fish will get put in the freezer for eating over winter?

My dads plan is put it in our basement. Getting the totes down is goimg to be interesting. I wouldn't mind having perch instead of tilapia tho... very tasty fish

Im up in by the IL/WI border... never cross the cheddar curtain unless for work...or fish lol

So just to update. I've started some oat grass and catnip. The whole setup is starting to have an odor. I can't tell if it's the radish sprouts or fishy water. Either way tomorrow I'm going to do a pwc and remove some more radish sprouts and replace with something else.

Attachments

• 1421384580767.jpg
    1421384580767.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 1421384595345.jpg
    1421384595345.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 81
Yes. It's some kind of really porous material. Not sure what it is exactly. Kinda feels like lava rock.

Yes. It's some kind of really porous material. Not sure what it is exactly. Kinda feels like lava rock.

Thanks! Yeah, I was looking at it wondering if I was seeing right. That's pretty amazing.

Update. I'm changing seeds now and it's so tedious to clean the growing substrate. I only do one a night because it takes a good 15 min to pic out all the old roots and rinse everything off. Would not recommend for a young child unless an adult who has a lot of patience is involved.

Back
Top Bottom