My Nitrites and nitrates spiked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am cycling my tank for the last month and every day my readings have been
Ammo .25-.50ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
Today I just came in for my daily check and it's
Ammo same as always
Nitrites 5ppm
Nitrates 10ppm

Should I water change?! Or will the BB take care of the spike?! I am freaking out! What do I do?

You dont have fish yet do you? You're getting there. :) You still have a way to go yet. When they get unreadable on the chart, do a water change. Or if pH starts dropping do one.

You dont have fish yet do you? You're getting there. :) You still have a way to go yet. When they get unreadable on the chart, do a water change. Or if pH starts dropping do one.

Yes I do have fish in the tank :( I have 6 serpea tetras and 4 corydoras. I did a 30% water change just now using prime as my declor.

Yes I do have fish in the tank :( I have 6 serpea tetras and 4 corydoras. I did a 30% water change just now using prime as my declor.

Oh, okay. I was thinking fishless. Yeah, water changes good. If you could do another one or two tonight to get that nitrite down it would be a good idea. Keep an eye on your pH. Keep up the good work! ;-)

Oh, okay. I was thinking fishless. Yeah, water changes good. If you could do another one or two tonight to get that nitrite down it would be a good idea. Keep an eye on your pH. Keep up the good work! ;-)

Ok in a hour or 2 ill test the lvls again and pH. If its still high nitrite readings ill do a 20-30% water change again tonight. Thanks for that help I really appreciate it! :)

No. Just be sure and dose water conditioner for the whole tank volume, and mix it in the water and let it sit a few minutes before starting your filter up again.

Ok so just did my master test. This is what I am working with

Ammonia - between 0 and .25ppm
Nitrite - 1ppm
Nitrates - 10ppm
pH - 7.4
Water temp - 78

Can I sleep sound tonight? Or should I do another water change?

Since you're using Prime, you should be good for the night. You can even add a little bit more Prime if you want. Good job getting that number down.

Ok I'll add a cap of prime to it and I check it in the morning to see how it's doing. I had no idea being an aquarist was so much work! But I really really enjoy it. :)

I just retested my pH levels with both the high range and regular pH test.

High range 7.4
Low was 7.6
So is it safe to say my tank is at 7.6 pH level?

Ok I'll add a cap of prime to it and I check it in the morning to see how it's doing. I had no idea being an aquarist was so much work! But I really really enjoy it. :)

I know! I used to think "how hard could it be? Fill the tank up, throw fish in, feed the fish..." lol.

High range 7.4
Low was 7.6

It's hard to say since you just did a water change. Try testing it tomorrow.

High range 7.4
Low was 7.6

Correct me if I'm wrong here but If your low was 7.6 then your high will be the next color up.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but If your low was 7.6 then your high will be the next color up.

The API master test kit has a low range pH test and a high pH range test. My low pH hit the max on the color chart but barley (light blue 7.6) my high range test hit only the first color on the chart (light brown 7.4 next color is 7.8) so I think that the 7.6 is right. Does that make sense? :( I don't know if I explained that right lol

High range 7.4
Low was 7.6

Nope. The regular ph goes from 7.2 then jumps to 7.6. So, you will see a 'blue' result for anything above 7.2 (ie, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6). The high range test has low limit of 7.4- anything below this will appear as 7.4 as well. Comparing both tests, your ph is right in the 7.3-7.4 range.

Back
Top Bottom