My POOL into a pond! whadda think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
well hello everyone!

Now my aunt just bought this pool its a metal type, so i was looking at it and i was like...... a pond? lol its the MTS striking again! but its 12 foot diamater and 36 inches high, so i wonderd if i could turn it into a pond if i set it up, i mean the liner is rubber, im just worried about chemicals in the pool. and i also wanna know if it is save to swim with my fishes? if i get the pool setup, i think its just a really cool thought i mean how cool is swimming with your fishes?
lol

It has been done, but one has to be careful of anti-mildewants impregnated into the liner....heating and filtering 2500 gallons (that will lose heat like crazy) will be fun, too.

...and although you could swim with your fish...why?

lol why? so i can be with the aquatic race! lol i just thought it would be cool, i mean i could grab some goggles and look at my fishies, but would i need a heater with pond fihs (koi)? i thought they dident need onelol but im just thinking,mabe i can get a SUPER heater and put it in my basement, and but a big group of tropical fishies* im joking lol, but let me know everyone

Oh my gosh. First of all you dont need to filter 2500 gallon pond. NORMALLY.

Since this is all above ground you would have to do something, I would think it would freeze up (Since you are fairly far north and in OH).

Filtering 2500 gallons is not that big of deal. 2500 gallons is not that big.

A heater would cost a few hundred (at least).

A filter would not be that expensive, as 2500 gallons is a pretty average sized pond. If the pool came with a filter, you could use that but it would clog all the time.

You can use a rubbermaid stock tank converted into a filter, Cost you $50-80 to get one up and going (Plus cost of pump)

You can swim with the fish, nothing wrong with that, but WHY is a good question.

Nasty water, ewww. Would have to take a bath afterwords.

Now I walk in my pond sometimes to get to places I cannot reach, the fish swim over and nibble on your legs.

zacdl said:
Oh my gosh. First of all you dont need to filter 2500 gallon pond. NORMALLY.

Based on what? It all depends on what it in it.

Since this is all above ground you would have to do something, I would think it would freeze up (Since you are fairly far north and in OH).

It would, were it outside....I know of several set-up in heated garages.

Filtering 2500 gallons is not that big of deal. 2500 gallons is not that big.

It can be...again, depends on what you are keeping in it.

A heater would cost a few hundred (at least).

Good inline should run in the $650-$1000 range, so a few.

You can use a rubbermaid stock tank converted into a filter, Cost you $50-80 to get one up and going (Plus cost of pump)

Or a tower wet/dry made from tubbermaid tubs, but that 7,500-10,000 gph pump is where the dollars come in.

Nasty water, ewww. Would have to take a bath afterwords.

Even worse if you are doing a tropical tank with larger fish...like....big cichlids.

That would be my dream to convert an in-ground pool into a pond. I've even figured out how to retrofit the usual pool filter (though I'm an environmental engineer and have wastewater system design background). Of course I'm going to swim in it if I ever do it. It would be like having your own tropical lagoon for snorkeling in your backyard (I live in Houston so would stock it with tropicals).

You'd have to be strict about the swimming, though. Keep a special swimsuit that has been washed without detergents, and take a shower to rinse off lotion, hair gel, shampoo and soap residue before swimming.

Toirtis said:
It has been done, but one has to be careful of anti-mildewants impregnated into the liner....heating and filtering 2500 gallons (that will lose heat like crazy) will be fun, too.

...and although you could swim with your fish...why?
Swimming with fish is fun I snorkel in a cove (which I know is different than a pool, but you're still swimming with the fishes) The fish are so cool. You look and look and don't see any fish and then you look behind you and there are tons of ghiribaldis following you. They're big and orange and fun to swim with. Now I'm learning to scuba dive and since I moved There's a whole bunch of new fauna and flora to explore. This place is home to the largest octopi in the world. They're 30 feet long.

Back
Top Bottom