my rams are dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
k so yesterday i noticed that my female gbr had ich. so i went to the store and grabbed some meds. when i got home treated her, then went to bed. before i went to bed i noticed that my male was getting in his colors, like really showing them off and i got all excited. this morning however, they were stuck on the filter intake. my water parameters are perfecto. what could it be? my male didn't have ich.

So sorry for your loss. The real experts here are gonna wanna know what you mean by your water is perfecto. If you post your actual parameters, tank size, any information about things like have you added anything new to tank recently, when was your last water change and how much, what is your regular cleaning schedule like.

last water change, 2 days ago, ph is at 7.2, ammonia, nitrate zero's out. nothing new to the tank except fish but this wasnt a murder. 55 gallon. plenty of filtration, temp is at 80, feeding 2 times a day, plenty of caves and hiding places, shouldnt be a stessful environment, water movement in the tank is good. plenty of oxygen, idk what it could be (water change wasnt much, probably like 15 %)

Okay, so you added new fish? Just want to clarify. When was that? Also, you say your nitrAte is 0. Unless you mean nitrIte. If nitrAte, you could have gotten yourself into a mini cycle which could potentially explain ich and deaths. Wasn't thinking murder with the addition of new fish in as much as they might have introduced disease into the tank. I'll be interested in hearing what the experts here have to say. Hopefully I can help you to help them narrow it down some.

i think it was with the female ram from the start. i meant nitrite btw. haha, but i honestly think that ich came from the rams, im going back to the store today and picking up some angels. im waiting for my trustworthy fish guy to get in the rams, i figured i would because i can guaruntee healthy fish with him, he keeps all his fish for a week b4 selling.

The nitrate reading is zero because it's a planted tank. There's nothing unusual there.

Also, it doesn't matter if the LFS quarantines them for several months. If they are Asian bred rams they will never be healthy. Avoid purchasing any of those because you are only setting yourself up for failure if you purchase them. They aren't hardy and they tend to die within several months of bringing them home from the LFS. Sometimes they die for no apparent reason.

yeah, im waiting, im just going to pick up two angels

If you had an ich outbreak in your tank I wouldn't suggest getting anything new and putting in your tank. Get some more advice here, but I think you may need to treat your tank with a temperature rise for a few weeks to kill of any ich spores that could be in the tank still. Someone step in and correct me please, if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom