My Rams never live long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it a little strange you have zero nitrates? Are you sure your shaking the nitrate solution enough before testing? You might have a nitrate problem and your not noticing because your getting false readings.

I find it a little strange you have zero nitrates? Are you sure your shaking the nitrate solution enough before testing? You might have a nitrate problem and your not noticing because your getting false readings.

If you read earlier posts he/she does 75% changes Dailey.

I agree with keeping a discus only tank, rams and discus are both very picky. Keeping both in the same tank I feel like is just asking for trouble, no offense of course. I would take the rams out if possible since you are having issues.

I agree with keeping a discus only tank, rams and discus are both very picky. Keeping both in the same tank I feel like is just asking for trouble, no offense of course. I would take the rams out if possible since you are having issues.

You are probably right. Will need to think about setting up my 30G.

I'm glad your tank is doing better. That is such a relief. Regarding your rainbows, it looks like they are better since they would be gone by now if they had columnaris.

Meth blue is very gentle and it will help them heal. They are in a QT tank , right? Just need a sponge filter, heater, airstone. It will kill nitrifying bacteria so you will need to do a 75% water change daily. You don't need salt with this treatment. You could do a meth bath for a few days. Then I would do a water change to get rid of the blue and see if they have healed.

Caution: methylene blue stains EVERYTHING. If you accidentally drop some, you can use some diluted bleach, or a Mr. Clean Sponge:

Amazon.com: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Cleaning Pads, 8-Count Box: Health & Personal Care

Thanks for the heads up on the blue staining :)
Yes, they are in a QT tank, with a small filter, heater and air bubbler. I too figured they must be ok, as none of them have even been close to death. They show no outward signs of illness at all except thier lips.
Think I will give the meth blue a try this weekend and see how it goes.
When I do my daily 75% changes, do I dose the meth blue daily, or every couple days?

If i recall correctly you are not supposed to do more that 50% water changes.

Very stressful for fishy's.

I do over 50% on my fry tubs and tanks. Otherwise it is way to hard to keep the trates down on them. Honestl, imo a water change doesnt stress out the fish. When ever I do my water changes my fish act normal the entire time. And when the tanks filled back up the colours really come out. I also have a pair of breeding rams that I do over 50% all the time.
Is she eating? And I've seen multiple rams with discus.. But it might not work in that small of tank. I would even have the discus in there. They require said to be atleast a 55 but most 55g are only 22 front to back and that does allow for enough surface area imo.
Also I'd be careful with the rodi water. The minerals fish need are removed from the water and sometimes can cause issues

I just returned from a holiday from Florida. All my fish survived, thanks to my fish-sitter. However, before I left, I euthanized the sick female ram and a corycat. The day I left, she was very dark and hiding behind the UV filter. Very sad. I will not buy anymore until I can have a ram-only tank.

I just returned from a holiday from Florida. All my fish survived, thanks to my fish-sitter. However, before I left, I euthanized the sick female ram and a corycat. The day I left, she was very dark and hiding behind the UV filter. Very sad. I will not buy anymore until I can have a ram-only tank.

I hear ya, it's very depressing watching a fish die and knowing there's nothing you can do to help. Rams only would be a good decision. There much more susceptible to disease and issues that are not as serious with typical tropical fish. But then again don't blame yourself, much of the ram trade has been tainted by the farms in Asia that interbreed and pump these poor beautiful fish with hormones.

Back
Top Bottom