My Ryukin Dying? :'(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont have any at home :( but I'll keep that in mind for future references :D ... I don't know why but my 2 commons i always see pooping lol, but i rarely ever see the fancies doing their business... which is fine for me, but I don't know if thats normal for fancies to just... not go while someones around

So I was staring at him today, and noticed he had some stringy poop... but its white/clear, no colour... that cant be a good sign can it? Also I just realized the other day I saw some floating around, and it had a bubble in it. sorry for the details but they might be important :p

This is a tough one ....

The floating upside-down seems to be a swimbladder dysfunction, except there are many different causes of that, and it is difficult to figure out what is wrong.

The simplest cause of swimbladder dysfunction would be constipation or gas in the gut. The fish is out of balance because of the air in the belly. Feeding peas is the first line of defense. Even if the cause is not gut problem, feeding peas is not harmful.

Now, if you are sure that it is constipation (say long dark stringy poop that is stuck to the fish's behind for a while), and peas don't help, then epsom salt is worth a try.

However, if the poop is white & thin, then it can be bad. If you have been feeding white food, and the poop is white & thick, that is Ok. If the "poop" looks like a string of sausages, with little bumps at interval, that is an egg sac. Females that have no mate will expel the eggs like that. that is also normal. However, if the poop is white & thin, that is more than likely an intestine infection. If the fish is also appearing sick (lethargy, balance problem, not eating), then it is worthwhile treating.

Since the fish did have a balance problem, and some swimbladder dysfunction may be caused by an internal infection, couple that with the thin white poop, it is worth a trial of antibiotics. <It is possible that the wounds from the falling scales got secondarily infected.>

The best way to treat this is with antibiotic food. Something with Kanamycin is the current best. Look for Medi-Gold or Medi-Koi. But pretty much any antibiotic food with Kanamycin is useful. If you cannot find that, a board spectrum antibiotic is 2nd choice - eg being sulfa (ie Jungle's anti-bacterial food). Tetracycling may be helpful, but the old standby - erythromycin is no longer effective due to development of bacterial resistance.

If the fish will not eat, then kanamycin in the water is your best choice. Other antibiotics are not well absorbed when used in the water. However, using anti-biotics in the water will risk killing your biofilter, and you will have to manage a possible cycle on top of all the other troubles.

In addition to antibiotic food, other adjuncts to use are:
1. Maintain clean water - this is a must - no amount of med will work without clean water.
2. Increase temperature (to mid or high 70's) - you will need to maintain good aeration as well. Higher temp increases the metabolic rate of the fish & increase immunity, helping the fish to fight off diseases.
3. Maintain good nutrition - feeding the fish good quality food, some think that garlic may help immunity as well.

Keep us posted on the fish's progress. We are all rooting for him/her.

Thanks, from what your describing it sounds like an internal infection... except he still eats like a pig. I'll still try that though :D
On a side note, one of my common goldfish has stringy white poop, but then it goes normal coloured... like the first little bit is clear/white, is that fine? or should I just treat her too? she's in the 50 gal tank, separate from the ryukin

The occasional bit of white poop is fine. It is when poop is persistently thin & white that is worrisome. So I won't worry too much about your commons.

BTW - you should not see a lot of poop in a normal goldfish (even in a bare bottom tank). If you see lots, the fish is a bit constipated. So I think your fish can use a bit more veggies. <Actually, veggies are good for any goldfish, anytime ... in the wild they are mostly vegetarians ...>

thanks for the advice! I forgot to give peas to them tonight, but tomorrow morning peas it shall be :D (I would feed other veggies but my family is barely getting enough money to buy our own food, and we don't have any other veggies right now lol)

You can give them your salad scraps (parts you don't eat). Pear peels, apple peels, cucumber ends etc. They don't need alot- just variety. Make sure you take it our of the aquarium- it can foul your water. My guys love snacks like this.

I would have suggested the epsoms salts as well for the bloat (sounds like bloat to me). I usually add a little epsoms salts if one of my guys look unballanced when they are swiming. I do frequent water changes and don't have any problems. Everyone is happy & growing.

Good luck,
Julie

So far so good :D Going to buy his antibiotic food tomorrow (couldnt today :( ) fed him peas and he's been rightside up for a few days without problems :D Still gulping :( But Hopefully that will clear up.

So I just went to my lfs store and they only had jungle anti parasite medicated food so I bought that. It says "with praziquantel"
The directions are to feed 3 days in a row a week, for 4 weeks without using other food during the 3 days... do I feed them their regular food for the other 4 days?

GoldfishNewbie said:
So I just went to my lfs store and they only had jungle anti parasite medicated food so I bought that. It says "with praziquantel"
The directions are to feed 3 days in a row a week, for 4 weeks without using other food during the 3 days... do I feed them their regular food for the other 4 days?

Nope, the 4 days off you're not supposed the feed them anything. Have you tried shelled peas? They're good for cleaning them out. I feed my Moors peas once a week and they love it :)

He'll be fine. It's the parasites that will starve. I just recently left my fish for a few days (3) without feeding, and all mine where fine.

GoldfishNewbie said:
wont he like... starve from 4 days? since he already has parasites eating at him too? :O

I can't tell you for sure, but no doubt the medicated food probably give the fish some boost to get thru the 4 day of fasting.

I actually feed my fish "normal" food during the 4 days.

I am not sure why Jungle has this strange schedule. From reading others use of Prazi, they use it continuously for 2 weeks. However, Jungle's food also has Metronidazole (which should also be used continuously) & Levamazole (that is a dewormer given as a single dose monthly <for cats>) ... so maybe that is the limiting factor.

However, most people recommend feeding high quality food to maintain nutrition during infection to boost immunity. One book even recommend against fasting for any reason ... so I feed my fish in between.

Back
Top Bottom