My Tank, Needs Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love_MyFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Dang It, I thought I had cycled my tank thanks to Petsmart, now joining the group I find I haven't cycled I've scewed up. Attached is my tank specks and fish what can I do? Readings: PH 7.5 AM .25 NI 0 NA 0........

Attachments

• My tank.jpg
    My tank.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 126
What r ur readings for nitrites, ammonia,nitrates, and ph

O the same thing happened to me ok thats y the bacteria might have died ur going through another cycle

First off, I would say there are some stocking issues that need to be addressed. The pleco will get way too big for the tank. Also, the tetras would do much better if kept in larger schools... 6 or more is usually good.

As far as the tank not being cycled yet... I am surprised that at the 7 week point there is still a problem... and no nitrite. This means your cycle is stalled. What kind of tank maintenance besides PWCs are you doing? Are you cleaning out the filter and if so, how are you doing that? Are you using a dechlorinator product like prime to treat the water during pwcs? Have you put any medications or other chemicals in the tank during the 7 weeks?

You want to keep your ammonia at less than 0.25 ppm. If this means you have to do daily 50% water changes, then that is the best course of action.

I would also be curious to see test results on your tap water straight out of the tap. Especially for ammonia.

What makes you think your tank needs help? What problems (besides the ammonia) are you seeing? (fish behavior, water clarity, algae, etc, etc)

Keep up the water changes and use prime water treatment! Hopefully your fish will be alright try to keep the ammonia down with your pwc untill you get your tank cycled

tank

First off, I would say there are some stocking issues that need to be addressed. The pleco will get way too big for the tank. Also, the tetras would do much better if kept in larger schools... 6 or more is usually good.

As far as the tank not being cycled yet... I am surprised that at the 7 week point there is still a problem... and no nitrite. This means your cycle is stalled. What kind of tank maintenance besides PWCs are you doing? Are you cleaning out the filter and if so, how are you doing that? Are you using a dechlorinator product like prime to treat the water during pwcs? Have you put any medications or other chemicals in the tank during the 7 weeks?

You want to keep your ammonia at less than 0.25 ppm. If this means you have to do daily 50% water changes, then that is the best course of action.

I would also be curious to see test results on your tap water straight out of the tap. Especially for ammonia.

What makes you think your tank needs help? What problems (besides the ammonia) are you seeing? (fish behavior, water clarity, algae, etc, etc)

My loach had ich so I used rid ich plus. Other than that no issues. I use prime with PWC, I have a python so I treat for 29 gallons not just what I replace. Out of the tap .5ppm ammonia with prime 0ppm. I at this point am not doing any other maintenance. I also added API Stress Coat w/ enzymes.

yeah, a lot of things say a lot of things. Petsmart says their plants are aquatic too ;)

It is already going again... that is just my theory as to why it is taking so long. If there are fish (a source of ammonia) and water that is free of chlorine, the cycle is progressing. Just don't get overzealous with vacuuming gravel, and definitely don't change out any mechanical filter media in your filter.

yeah, a lot of things say a lot of things. Petsmart says their plants are aquatic too ;)

It is already going again... that is just my theory as to why it is taking so long. If there are fish (a source of ammonia) and water that is free of chlorine, the cycle is progressing. Just don't get overzealous with vacuuming gravel, and definitely don't change out any mechanical filter media in your filter.

No Vaccuming or cleaning other than the walls. So how long am I in ****? lol

couldn't tell you for sure. I have seen tanks cycle in 2 weeks, and I have seen them take a couple of months (especially if the cycle is interrupted with medications/chemicals/filter media cleaning, etc.

couldn't tell you for sure. I have seen tanks cycle in 2 weeks, and I have seen them take a couple of months (especially if the cycle is interrupted with medications/chemicals/filter media cleaning, etc.

Darn, Ok will bacteria help at all?

My personal opinion on bacteria in a bottle type products... they are a crap shoot. They can work... a lot of times they don't. Nitrifying bacteria are aerobic... so I am skeptical about the science behind sealing them in a little bottle and storing them on a shelf for months at a time.

I think fort is on the money about the bacteria products. When I cycled my first tank I was using MicrobLift products and it didn't seem to be speeding anything up. I got the through the ammonia and was fighting a Nitrite spike. After daily PWCs for a week the sample bottles ran out so I opened a new bottle dosed a little heavy and over night the Nitrites were zero. My take away from that was if you get a fresh bottle it can help, but it is hit or miss.

I have a little experience with the products from Microlift laboratory. The products are called Special Blend and Nite-Out II, again , I'm not an expert, but I got the impression that they speed up my cycle in my tank.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom