My Tanks Test Results - Please Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80four

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Those of you aware of my situation will know that i've been trown in at the deep end with a brand new tank and a load of fish... the tank is in its cycle and i was adviced to get a master test kit and report the readings in an attempt to be better advised in this less than ideal situation to help keep my fish as happy and healthy as possible.

Original Post: http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=59703

Test - Tank result (Tap water result)

Nitrate No3 - 20ppm (20ppm)
PH Level - 8.0 (7.2)
Ammonia NH3, NH+4 - 2.0ppm (0ppm)
Nitrate No2 - 0.50ppm (0ppm)

what do i do next?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

84 :wink:

once i've done a 30% water change... how long should i wait before i retest the water?

Test it a little while after the watre change to see if it helped.
I know some people test the water right after the water change but I like to wait about 1/2hr to let the new water run through the filter and mix well with the remaining water in the tank. JMO

ok, i've just done my 30% water change... i'll leave it 40 minutes and report back the new levels.

Thanks for the help oscarbreeder!!

84 :)

ok - i've redone the tests and there is little change...

Nitrate No3 - 20ppm (no change)
PH Level - 7.8 (0.2 drop)
Ammonia NH3, NH+4 - 2.0ppm (no change)
Nitrate No2 - 0.50ppm (no change)

I guess this is bad news... any advice would be greatfully accepted.

The tank was "born" on sunday... its about 3.5 days old.

The tank was stocked too quickly. If everything was dumped on you, then it may not be your fault.

Reducing the bio-load will help, but that means getting rid of some of the fish. Feed very little every other day at most to keep the produced waste and DOC low.

Frequent pwc - even 30-50% are needed for now. That probably stresses the fish, but so does the current water conditions. Also, your pH will swing since your tank and tap are so different. But there is nothing you can do about that.

Whatever you do, please don't introduce any new fish even if these ones die. Wait until you are getting zero ammonia and nitrite readings. Also, if you can, invest in a non-strip test kit. Everyone seems to agree that the strips are too unreliable.

Oh... I wouldn't worry too much about the pH test for now. Like I said, you have no option to mix the lower pH tap with higher-pH tank. Focus on getting the ammonia and nitrite down.

Notice that you have nitrate in your tap water. you won't be certain your cycle is over until the nitrates hit 30 or even 40, since your tap water starts with 20. When your ammonia and nitrite (NO2) go to zero, and your nitrates have gone up, you will be done. Unfortunately, you were given a fully stocked tank with no biofilter, so you have to cycle the tank with a full bioload. I know this was not your doing, so what can you do now? Become the latest and greatest water change king! I would seriously consider a python. You are going to have to do water changes every day. Twice a day if you can handle it. Even so, you might still be facing climbing ammonia and nitrite levels, and I hope your fish will make it.

I commend you for taking on this difficult task, and for all the effort you have been expending for the sake of your adopted fish.

TomK2 said:
I would seriously consider a python. You are going to have to do water changes every day. Twice a day if you can handle it.

I finally managed to get my hands on a python... they appear to be one of the most difficult pieces of aquarium gear to get your hands on in the UK. I ordered the 50ft version and it should be with me this time next week.

I wouldnt bother testing for nitrate.. the nitrite in the water throws the test off..
I would feed the fish less and make bigger water changes.. first lower the feeding then increase the water change % to see how it effects the test results.. try to get your ammonia down to .25-.5 ppm..

I agree with GM about not testing the nitrate levels, but for a different reason. There is no point in checking the nitrate when you still have ammonia and nitrite. When you have ammonia and nitrite, the cycle isn't over, so who cares about the nitrate. But when the ammonia and nitrite are zero, then an increase in nitrate serves as a final indication that all your ammonia is swiftly being converted to nitrate and your cycle is complete. The nitrite and nitrate tests are almost the same tests. To measure nitrate, it is first converted into nitrite, then measured. If you had zero nitrite, and 10 of nitrate, the kit would read 10. If you also have nitrite in addition to nitrate, the two are added together. So if you had 0.5 of nitrite, and 10 of nitrate, the kit would still read 10. But if your nitrite gets up to 5, then the kit would read 15. Lets hope you never see a nitrite of 5ppm!

Back
Top Bottom