My Tetra May Be Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
During this past week, I have noticed that one of my red-eye tetras has been getting rounder. She has shown no change in behavior so I doubt if she is sick. I've seen a pregnant Molly and Platy but never a egg-layer. Will she get as big as they do? How long will she carry her eggs? Will I have to put her in a breeders net at some point? Please help a newbee.

Unless your PH is down around 6.5 and soft then the eggs will probably calcify.

Breeder nets with Tetras don't really work too well, and they need very dark, then gradually increase the lighting, when she drops the eggs and they are fertalized (need a male in the tank) then put some infusiora in the tank, remove the pair and shut the lights off, (Tetras are very sensitive to lights) you can read a lot on breeding tetras, my water is to alkaline to have a chance for breeding, but I've seen my Blues plump up, then come back down.. no eggs dropped.

Your tetra is gravid (carrying eggs). Tetras are scatter spawners--the female will dart around the tank releasing eggs and the male (or males) will be right behind her trying to fertilize the eggs. If there are other fish in the tank, they too will be following the tetras, eating the eggs as they fall.
If you are trying to breed tetras, they would need their own tank.

So will she continue to lay eggs throughout her life? My PH is not less than 7.4 and on the hard side so I guess there is little hope for fry.

Back
Top Bottom