My water turned foggy overnight and killed my two guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a well established tank(well I did before yesterday) with two guppy parents, and three of their babies. The tank was heavily planted...but I wanted to add some drift wood and java moss for extra hiding spots for the babies. So I went and bought them...did a water change, added them...everything looked nice...until I woke up and the water was super foggy...and both of my adult guppies were dead. The babies are still alive, so I moved them to a hospital tank...
Does anyone know what I could have done wrong? I'm thinking it was the drift wood that messed my water up...but if anyone. Knows anything eles that could have been the problem I'd appreciate the advice since I want to start cycling my tank tonight.
Thanks

If the tank has already been established there is no need to restart the cycle, because there is already bacteria in the filter. Did you by any chance change the filter cartridges?

What are your water paramaters? What size is the tank? Any other fish in there? Driftwood makes water darker, not cloudy, because it releases tanins, unless you didn't clean it beforehand and some residue was on it that was toxic to fish.

Doesnt driftwood change water ph as well? I would have boiled the driftwood beforehand as well.

My tank Is a 6 gallon, but I already vacuumed most of the water up. I think it was the drift wood because the petstore told me to use reptile driftwood(it may have not even been driftwood) I should have known better....:/ but no I didn't change anything In the filter, besides cleaning it.

I'm beginning to become fed up with my local petstores...anyone know any good online stores?

Thatpetplace I have heard is good, though I have not used it yet. Ebay woorks as well. Even posting in the classifieds here may yield you good results. Look in your area through google for other pet stores or even craigslist

Hope that helps

Thanks everyone for your advice :) it does help

Back
Top Bottom