Mysis Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brodie

Aquarium Advice Freak
What exactly are Mysis Shrimp? Are they in any way related to Brine Shrimp? Do they have any nutritional value? I just inherited a Starry Blenny and heard they will eat Mysis Shrimp, but I wasn't sure. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I feed my fish spirunela (?), plankton, green seaweed selects, and mysis shrimp. They go nuts for mysis shrimp, and rip the seaweed to shreds, but are not too crazy about the others.

How do you all prepare the Mysis? Do you just take a frozen chunk and soak them in water, or just toss them directly into the tank?

Soak to defrost then add to the tank (strain to reduce the risk of adding nitrates/phosphates to your system). Your other fish will enjoy the mysis also. I feed a rotation of Formula 1, formula 2 and Prime Reef in addition to the mysis.

I have brime shrimp (for the clown, white spotted puffer, red tail file fish, and cowfish) Then I have mysis for the puffer and trigger.

Just buy those mysis in bulk (not the cubed one). They look like baby cocktail shrimp. They actually remind me of hibi, this small dried shrimp things you see in asian stores.

You put the mysis and brime in a plastic cup, fill it up with warm water from your sink, get a spoon and spin it to quicken the thawing process.

Then when you see them break apart and thaw out, you get your net and strain the contents of the cup. Then you turn off all your filtration and pour the strained food in there. It takes 2 minutes tops. As much as possible you rid the murky water that resulted from the thaw process. That will not do good for your water parameters.

mysis shrimp have a better nutritional value tto the fish than brine.
thaw in some clean water, then add to the tank. if you have nitrate/phosphate issues, strain it first. but if those levels are low, or zero, the liquid the shrimp is frozen in won't do that much, and will actually be somewhat beneficial to the filter feeders.

I just did a water test today before added the shrimp. Nitrates/Phosphates were at 0. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I added the shrimp and my tank just went crazy! All my fish came out, my hermits....and even my Brittle Star. Seems like a pretty awesome food source.

Its like McDonalds french fries to an 8 year old.

Almost everything that swims will eat them.

Nutritional value is almost nil unless saturated with vitamins and minerals ([acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s or whatever).

As far as suggesting to thaw them in liquid and straining - dont use tap water, get a cup and fill it with your tank's water (not much water is needed) - then strain through a net into your sink - wave net through tank-water to remove contents and viola, crazy hungry fish feeding frenzy.

But if you have filter feeders (some corals, anemones, some starfish, featherdusters, etc) - as stated above, you dont necessarily have to strain the cubes of the stasis substance (what the cubes are frozen together with).

Back
Top Bottom