Myster Snail broken shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cubsfan85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a gold mystery snail from Petsmart today and I noticed now that I've got him home that his shell is broken. There seems to be a small section missing completely, and then hairline cracks around the area. Should I return it? Or can it survive like that?

cubsfan85 said:
I picked up a gold mystery snail from Petsmart today and I noticed now that I've got him home that his shell is broken. There seems to be a small section missing completely, and then hairline cracks around the area. Should I return it? Or can it survive like that?

I agree, take it back before you get too attached to it. My mystery snails shell was showing little defects and since I started putting in cuddle bones, it's doing a lot better.

I bought a gold mystery snail from Petsmart with a broken shell like that and it did just fine. I had it for about 6 or 7 months before it died.

When you first put Snails in your new aquarium they usually stay shelled up for a bit. But you should take the snail back and get a different one

You're right. This morning he was inside the barrel decoration attached to the side. So, he's alive.

I bought a gold mystery snail from Petsmart with a broken shell like that and it did just fine. I had it for about 6 or 7 months before it died.

I'm kind of leaning toward keeping it since it's only 2 bucks and I feel bad returning him since he's not dead, just a little defective.

Decisions, decisions.

cubsfan85 said:
Can it repair itself or can you just stop the damage from getting worse?

It seems to be getting better, not as many holes since adding the cuddle bone and I'm sure it's gonna take some time to fully heal/repair itself.

Cuddle bone, its for birds right? How do I get my snail to get to that, does it go in water? What does it do to help them? My mystery is also having shell maintenece isuues :(

Just drop it in your tank. I have a 1/4 of one in my tank. The cuttlebone works a calcium supplement.

Just an update, I kept the broken shell snail and he is doing fine. It seems like the top layer of the shell (gold) flaked off but there is still something underneath (white).

Going to get some of the cuddle bone since it can't hurt.

Yup dont worry, the shell will grow back, but just dont forget to add the cuddlebone and/or some seashells o add some calcium sources in the tank.
Best of luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom