Mystery disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My female platy has been acting weird for a few weeks now. She is very big, bright and all around looks very healthy but she acts weird. Sometimes she acts very normal and swims up and down the glass, other times she will freak out and swim crazily and bump into many things and start flashing. She is in a 10 gal with 1 platy (youth) and 6 neons, all the other fish look fine but her. I do water changes many times a week and the ammonia is just a tad bit above 0 but still under .25 ppm. What could this be?

Platy's get extremly hyper when they are healthy and warm.
Also, i think you might be over stocked.

Platy's get extremly hyper when they are healthy and warm.
Also, i think you might be over stocked.

Also I forgot to mention the platy also just sits at the top or bottom sometimes (she's doing it now)

She's definitely NOT healthy. I can say this for sure

I am aware that I am overstocked and I have a forty gallon which I am gradually moving the neons to (because it just finished cycling)

Does anyone have any advice?

Also I forgot to mention the platy also just sits at the top or bottom sometimes (she's doing it now)

She's definitely NOT healthy. I can say this for sure

I am aware that I am overstocked and I have a forty gallon which I am gradually moving the neons to (because it just finished cycling)

Does anyone have any advice?
Does she show any other particular signs, maybe physical?

If she is flashing then there is something on her skin bothering her. Might be beginning stages of Ich keep an eye out for tiny white spots or any other abnormalities on her

She has been doing this for multiple weeks though, and now I see her hiding and she comes out when I enter the room. Is there anything I can do to contribute to this disease I can't even diagnose?

She's sitting at the bottom now. I guess I'll just let her die since apparently there's no way to diagnose this right

I would up your water changes she is probably irritated by the ammonia.

She's sitting at the bottom now. I guess I'll just let her die since apparently there's no way to diagnose this right
Don't let you're fish die. It might be suffering and all you might be doing is encouraging it. What you can do is as the previous post states, to do water changes frequently, feed a bit less, try monitoring it very well:)

Don't let you're fish die. It might be suffering and all you might be doing is encouraging it. What you can do is as the previous post states, to do water changes frequently, feed a bit less, try monitoring it very well:)

Yeah thanks. I will do my best :(

Is her poop regular? Not stringy or anything? I Put my Betta alone in a Sterilite tub with a bare bottom to examine his poop and it was almost clear and globulous. Treated him for internal parasites and he healed.

Back
Top Bottom