Mystery Neon tetra died woth no tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baygon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning everyone,

I found my two of my neon dead floating with no fin tails and blood were coming out from the wounds. When i scooped them out the wound is fresh. But i dont see other fishes attack them as they always swim in group. What could it possibly be? (they had ich and i was treating them with salt bath).

Some more info would be rather helpful. How long have you have them? and the tank? What other fish are in the tank and how big is it?

A female betta that always swim on top and five ghost shrimps. The tank i have is 30G.

The female is probably the culprit. I'd say perhaps they just died and she decided to start eating the, which is not uncommon for fish to do.

I agree that your options are either 1. the female betta did it or 2. some fish starting eating them after they died or as they were dying (very common). If the wound had not seemed fresh, I would have also listed natural decaying as an option, but in this case I am think one of those options is what happened. IMO, I am guessing #2.

The only thing i find it weird is that both fishes died in different time but they get the same wound, almost exact same cut as if someone chopped the fin off.

Thus, somebody eating the tail off. I don't think you have any other options here besides the tings we suggested to be honest. If the fish's tails rotted off, you would have seen it in stages most likely.

Yeah, must be the betta. Thanks! Problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom