Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,
I have a Golden Mystery Snail and would like to get a blue one. Is there any reason not too? Tank: 36 gal. planted.

Thanks-D

Never understood why people want snails most people try to get rid of them

Hi Everyone,
I have a Golden Mystery Snail and would like to get a blue one. Is there any reason not too? Tank: 36 gal. planted.

Thanks-D

I have lots of different snails really enjoy having them. The only thing to watch out for is them breeding if you have a boy and girl. I say go for it! Nothing stopping you if you like them :)

The only thing would be breeding but that isn't really a problem. Their eggs are laid in clusters outside of the water so all you have to do is pull them off, crush them, and throw away. I suggest crushing so they will not hatch in the trash and get into the environment. You can even just hatch a few by cutting the egg sack with a clean razor blade and add to your population. I have had up to three in my 29 gallon with no problems of over taxing the filter. It is usually recommended to keep 1 per 10 gallons of tank because they poo a lot.

The only thing would be breeding but that isn't really a problem. Their eggs are laid in clusters outside of the water so all you have to do is pull them off, crush them, and throw away. I suggest crushing so they will not hatch in the trash and get into the environment. You can even just hatch a few by cutting the egg sack with a clean razor blade and add to your population. I have had up to three in my 29 gallon with no problems of over taxing the filter. It is usually recommended to keep 1 per 10 gallons of tank because they poo a lot.

If I keep the water level high enough so that they don't have much room, will they still lay eggs? This assuming I have one of each sex... also have some Malaysian Trumpet Snails that hitched a ride on some plants. Everyone tells me that they're beneficial to the tank as long as they don't over-populate. I don't think I have any worries on that since I never see them, and I don't overfeed. I guess they spend most of their time under the substrate during the day?

If I keep the water level high enough so that they don't have much room, will they still lay eggs? This assuming I have one of each sex... also have some Malaysian Trumpet Snails that hitched a ride on some plants. Everyone tells me that they're beneficial to the tank as long as they don't over-populate. I don't think I have any worries on that since I never see them, and I don't overfeed. I guess they spend most of their time under the substrate during the day?

Just remove the sacs if they lay that's what I do as i don't have room for anymore. I leave my water level low incase she needs to lay, you might be lucky and have the same sex!
I have trumpets in both my tank's without issues, i usually get more in my vampire shrimp tank probably because I overfeed in there but I just manually remove them. But during the day i don't see any like you. :)

Just remove the sacs if they lay that's what I do as i don't have room for anymore. I leave my water level low incase she needs to lay, you might be lucky and have the same sex!
I have trumpets in both my tank's without issues, i usually get more in my vampire shrimp tank probably because I overfeed in there but I just manually remove them. But during the day i don't see any like you. :)

Thanks so much. Great advice. I'll keep you posted!

If you keep the water too high for them to lay they will just climb out and find a place. Or climb onto the lid if you have one and lay there. Nothing stops them when they decide to lay eggs. I have even seen them lay the eggs at the water line and then the eggs drown.

I cleaned my tank today and left some room at the top. Hopefully I don't have a male and a female and it won't be an issue. I've read on here about people who have snails where the shell starts to deteriorate. Is it really obvious is this happens? Do you always have to put a supplement in the water for them?

Thanks for your help-D

Snails need calcium to grow their shells. If they are not getting enough you will see chips or pitted places or the shell will get a rough texture to it. You can avoid this by just throwing a calcium tablet or antacid tablet like Tums in the tank a couple of times a week. Mine love the fruit flavored antacid tablets. You can also get a cuttlefish bone or throw some egg shell in the tank.

Forgot to mention that even if you only have females they will still lay eggs occasionally. The eggs will not hatch though.

Thanks for the information wildrose. I had heard of the tums, but I wasn't sure if they would bother the other fish. I'll pick some up and start tossing one in every once and awhile. I can't believe how big the golden was has gotten! It grew fast!

Back
Top Bottom