Nano Cube startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darnoc23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I had just purchased a 12 ga nano cube last week. So far I've put in live sand and live rocks to the aquairium. I had four damsels in the aquairum but they eventually died. I later found out from the test kits that my Nitrite was at a toxic level. All other testings, Amonia, nitrate, etc was at a low level. I've asked our local fish store why the nitrite was so high and he advised that it's part of the cycling process and to wait another week for everything to balance out. To speed up the process he advised me to put in Cycle or Zymetime #9. My question, is the nitrite suppose to spike up like that in the cycle process? From what I've read, you should be able to put in damsels to increase the amonia level, to increase the bacteria and speed up the bio cycle. Any advise on speeding up the process or lowering the nitrite level. He's also advised me not to redo the water because it will only restart the cycling process again. Thanks. :cry:

Hi and welcome to AA :!:

Your LR and Live Sand will be sufficient to cycle the cube, you will want to do maybe 20% water changes weekly or so during cycling to keep nitrates/nitrites/ammonia at a reasonable level.

Keep those levels monitored and after a few weeks or a month or so it should level out.

4 damsels in a 12gal along with LR and LS is what made the spike go up so high I would think. You really do not need so much livestock to get that puppy cycled. :D

Also look in the articles section of this forum (located at the top of the screen). There are several that will help in in cycling without the use of livestock. As snapcrackler said keep up with your waterchanges if you are using livestock. 4 damsels will quickly outgrow the nano. I amsumming this is the JBJ 12 gallon nanocube, which is actually only 9.5 gallons. *shrugs* I have one too and it in wonderful but I suggest only one fish as I have a maroon clown and he is pushing the size limits (He's a fatty). Good luck and welcome!

R-

If your lfs meant completely take out the water, then that wouldn't be a good idea. But the partial water changes are a good idea.

If you're planning on going FOWLR with the nano then the lighting is sufficient. Otherwise, plan to upgrade before you get the fish in.

Back
Top Bottom