Nano tank KH and GH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rshock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for some assistance with maintaining appropriate KH and GH levels in my 6 gallon freshwater tank. I have running my tank for just short of a year now with 7 Galaxy Rasbora (Danio margaritatus) and just recently added 1 Zebra Nerite Snail to handle a recent algae bloom. In all honesty, since starting my tank I have only recently been testing for KH and GH. I stuck to pH, Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte for a long time since that is what I understood.

I just tested the tank water with the liquid API test solutions and came up with 35.8ppm KH (2 dKH) and 143.2ppm GH (8 dGH).

Since starting the tank I have used tap water from two apartments. I never tested the tap water for KH and GH in my last apartment but my current tap water reads 35.8ppm KH (2 dKH) and 35.8ppm GH (2 dGH).

So if I understand this correctly, I currently have soft tap water at the low end of the ideal specifications for the galaxies (dGH – 3-15; dKH – 1-5) but my current tank water is at acceptable levels?? Should I try to adjust the levels and if so, how?

I wouldn't mess with it. Your parameters should be more than adequate for most common species of FW fish.

Back
Top Bottom