Nanoreef questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I got rid of my 2 green spotted puffers (I donated them to a tropical fish specialty shop). They were just too much hassle, I love them but I don't have the proper room for them. They are very copious and need lots of living space to absorp the excess nutrients they produce. I have a 15 gallon nano-reef that has 2 clowns and previously 2 puffers too. Things are much smoother now.
The question I have is concerning clown behaviour. I have 2 and understand that they change sex themselves when need be.
The smaller of the two seems to cower below the larger one and shiver rapidly a few seconds and move on, the big one follows and keeps going into their cave. They stay together always and the big one seems to stick to the little one always trying to keep physical contact with it.
Are they trying to mate or is this just clown behaviour?
Also, the hair algae problem I stated in a previous message is totally cleared up thanks to the blue legged hermit crabs, man they do good cleanup work.
I have also noticed some small sand fleas under the rocks when you lift them, is this a good sign of a maturing tank? I have all sorts of coralline algae producing all over everything and a tiny tiny bit of phosphate algae(I think thats what it is, its small little spots of flourescent green algae) I also put some halmedia in the tank and that seems to help absorp the nutrients.
I've added some pictures of my saltwater nanoreef, please comment on what you like and maybe what you would do different besides the obvious size, I plan to get a bigger one when I move this summer when I move to Ontario)

Are they trying to mate or is this just clown behaviour?

Might be a little of both. Female clowns are very dominant, the shivering is the male clowns way of keeping his fins intact.

I have also noticed some small sand fleas under the rocks when you lift them, is this a good sign of a maturing tank?

They have been there since you added the rock, if they are multiplying then...sort of, it is not a sign of anything, but they are benificial (usually) detrivores.

I have all sorts of coralline algae producing all over everything and a tiny tiny bit of phosphate algae(I think thats what it is, its small little spots of flourescent green algae)

Just another species of coralline algae. It comes in many different colors, which is dictated by what species is growing.

Don't be surprised if the clowns adopt the shroom as a host. (y)

Back
Top Bottom