Nasty Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is our filter supposed to look like this? Our LFS told us not to clean it...ever! And it looks disgusting. This cannot be healthy for our fish... at least I don't think so? Please help...

Attachments

• mms_img66497.jpg
    mms_img66497.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 162
the only part you need to clean is the inside of the intake tube. the rest looks pretty normal. its calcium and algea and helpful bacteria. as long as you change the green topped foam and carbon filter monthly you are fine in my opinion.

ah.. that makes me feel SO much better. thank you!

that's so weird. i guess i'm still getting used to the fact that bacteria and algae are good things.. haha that one is the only dirty one of our filters.. the other one is clean

Fishkeeper88 said:
the only part you need to clean is the inside of the intake tube. the rest looks pretty normal. its calcium and algea and helpful bacteria. as long as you change the green topped foam and carbon filter monthly you are fine in my opinion.

I agree that the filter usually looks gross, but I don't think you should change the foam and carbon monthly. Completely changing the foam is a waste of money and bacteria; just clean the foam in a bucket of tank water and replace. I do the same for the carbon. i guess i only change the foam when it can't do it's job anymore!

see ours gets clogged about once every week or every other week. we've had to change them completely because it will not filter the water at all. it just overflows back into the tank

Eww! May i ask why there's so much stuff in the water? Just curious :)

because the amount of food added to a closed system has to go somewhere. just because you pour food in the tank and it disappears, doesn't mean it's gone. it's just changed. changed into DOC's (dissolved organic compounds), fish poop..detritus...etc. these things will accumulate somewhere. there is also algae and bacteria that's already been mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom