Nearing end of fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DejaloLove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I started the fishless cycle a little over a month ago or so. I feel like we are nearing the end, as the ammonia seems to be dropping pretty rapidly (down to very low levels within 24 hours or less). The nitrite levels are off the charts as they are supposed to be. However, the nitrate levels are seemingly at a standstill. They are not spiking at all. Just wondering how long it usually takes for the nitrate levels to spike. Thanks for your help!

In my experience it takes the bacteria that converts the nitrite the longest to develop. Be patient and one of these days your Nitrite will drop to zero. Then you just have to change water to get the nitrates down.

So does that mean that it is normal for it to take a while for nitrates to show up? Because that is actually where I'm having my issue. The nitrates aren't really developing much yet. Sorry, I'm totally new to this and just trying to make sure I'm doing things right. :)

So does that mean that it is normal for it to take a while for nitrates to show up? Because that is actually where I'm having my issue. The nitrates aren't really developing much yet. Sorry, I'm totally new to this and just trying to make sure I'm doing things right. :)

What are your nitrates testing at?

I would do a large water change just to get the nitrite levels readable again.

From there we can see how it's going.

Also, be sure to follow the directions to the letter of the nitrate kit. This includes timed shaking of the bottles and vial.

Thank you for the tips! The nitrites actually dropped a little bit when I tested everything last night on their own. Is this a good sign that things are still moving in the right direction?

Back
Top Bottom