Need a lot of help for my 20G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys I have a 20 gallon tank. I wanted it to be a mega uber planted tank with live bearers and many many other small fish like tetras, some cories and, shrimps! etc. I need advice on a few things.

1) we dont have aqua soil in local shops here, i dont have a credit card so i cant buy online. Sand is all i can get. Is this good enuf for le plants? I dont even know if there are fertilizers here. Etc... Plus i already bought the sand. Soo... Just sand. Is it good enough?

2) i also have a submersible filter. Is this okay for le guppies and/or small tetras or fishies? Or is it kinda strong?

3) i really need help with my fish composition:

-6 guppies
-5 green or ember tetras
-5 baloon mollies
-5 cories
-6 endlers if i find some
-5 neon tetras
-1 pleco
-2 ottos
-6 rcs

4) how many hrs is recommended light time for the plants?

5) other plants dont have roots or were cut? Will they survive?

Ps: I don't know how to use aq calculator thingy.

I want them all to breed like there's no tomorrow. Hehe

Sorry for the long post. Im new here and this is my first post. Hehe

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's quite a big mix of fish! Which are you hoping will breed?

The guppies and mollies are livebearers but will eat their own fry. Endlers do not eat their fry but the other fish would make meals out of them. The tetras and cories are egg laying fish but most likely the eggs would get eaten. Rcs shrimplets would definitely get eaten.

You'll need fertilizers for some plants. What plants were you planning on
As far as stock that's way too many fish for a 20g. I would not put a pleco in there. I don't understand what kind of filter you mean. Can you a picture?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As far as stock that's way too many fish for a 20g. I would not put a pleco in there. I don't understand what kind of filter you mean. Can you a picture?

Missed the pleco...I wouldn't add one either.

As far as ottos they should only be added after the tank is well established.

That's quite a big mix of fish! Which are you hoping will breed?

The guppies and mollies are livebearers but will eat their own fry. Endlers do not eat their fry but the other fish would make meals out of them. The tetras and cories are egg laying fish but most likely the eggs would get eaten. Rcs shrimplets would definitely get eaten.

Hi! Thanks for replying. Im really okay with 1 or 2 fries surviving.... I want them to multiply slowly and i want the babies to survive in my main tank which i plan to fill with plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay! No pleco! Haha i was doubtful to add one anyway since it has bad rep and it grows quite fast.

Regarding the filter. Cant post a pic now but its the one thats submersible machine that sucks water that goes into a tube to get sifted in a sponge above the aquarium then falls back to the aquarium.

Regarding the plants... Ummm I don't know what its called too but it looks grassy. So will it be okay with sand? Can i mix fertilizer and sand?

So in total...whats the number of fish recommended for my 20 g?

Oh heres a pic. I just bought the tank so i havent done much aqua scaping. And i thnk u can see the filter there? Hehe i will add a lot more plants and maybe some pots in it. This tank is only in its infancy stage, hehe

Please help... I want my plants to survive and my fish to be healthy and happy.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444180799.281762.jpg

Most of your plants are pretty easy.

The red plant on the right is A. Reinekeii. This is not an easy plant lol. Mine ended up with algae colored leaves and never as vibrant as it should have been.

I'm going to guess your "grass" is dwarf hair grass or DHG. Another not so easy plant to care for.

Edit:

I also see cambomba, Anubias, Amazon swords, and a crypt undulata I believe.

The Anubias looks planted, don't plant it, pull it up and tie it down to like a rock, wood, or decor. This is because the plant will suffocate if the rhizome is planted.

Caleb

Last edited:
Your plants will also do better if you separate the stems a bit and give them some growing room.

Caleb

Most of your plants are pretty easy.

The red plant on the right is A. Reinekeii. This is not an easy plant lol. Mine ended up with algae colored leaves and never as vibrant as it should have been.

I'm going to guess your "grass" is dwarf hair grass or DHG. Another not so easy plant to care for.

Edit:

I also see cambomba, Anubias, Amazon swords, and a crypt undulata I believe.

The Anubias looks planted, don't plant it, pull it up and tie it down to like a rock, wood, or decor. This is because the plant will suffocate if the rhizome is planted.

Caleb

Ur right. Mine is kinda dying. I shld probly throw it out. Are they good with sand+fertilizer maybe?

Dyu know what plants are the green ones on the left and the green/red one in the middle?

Ur right. Mine is kinda dying. I shld probly throw it out. Are they good with sand+fertilizer maybe?

Amazon swords and the cryptocoryne would benefit from a root tab as they are root feeders. The rest you can use liquid fertilizers to supplement them.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom