Need advice. Inherited aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southern star

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I posted under member introductions and someone recommended I post here instead. I moved into a house and the last renter left a 55 gallon fish tank that was in awful shape. I have he details in the link. I cleaned the tank up pretty good but there is still some algae. I researched and I think it's brush algae. It looks like hair. The fish tank was covered in this stuff. I removed the top layer of gravel best I could but I still see a lot in there. What's the best way to get this under control?

Also I want to ask about the filters. The tank hadn't been cleaned in 2 years. There's a filter that has 4 cartridges in it. They had charcoal and batting in them. There was brown sludge at least 1/2 inch thick. The water was barely even running. One cartridge had white cylinder things. There was extra charcoal and batting in the cabinet below the tank so I replaced all that. There is no white cylinders so I threw them out. Do I need to replace these white cylinders. If so what are they? Is the charcoal and batting all I need for the filters.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm trying to learn all I can quickly. What's the best way to get the algae under control? How long should I leave the lights on?

Here's a link to my original post with a lot more detail and some pictures.
http://http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f59/need-help-inherited-a-nightmare-aquarium-356210.html#post3423943

Sorry to hear that. That link is not working for me. Could you give us more information, or pictures? Any fish currently in the tank?

The aquarium hobby is an extremely rewarding but time consumptive hobby. That is a nice size tank to start out on, I wish I started on that size.

The good news is that a 55 gallon tank should be easier to keep a good water quality than a smaller tank.

Most people leave lights on for around 8 hours; 12 hours max. The fish don't need the light to live. I might leave them off for a couple of days to try to kill off some of the algae.

If you really want new fish you can go to a local fish store and see if they will but them from you. To me, it looks like you have platies.

The #1 thing is to stay patient and do frequent water changes, dosing with prime each time. Good luck!

Sorry just found the other thread. +1 on the Prime, and if you are looking for a new water testing kit, API Master Test Kit for Freshwater is a good one that lasts a few years.

I leave my lights on for 8 hours, but I have high light and a planted aquarium. Since yours is not planted, you can do 12 hours if it is not super high light. Plants do help combat algae however if you want to go that route. Just get low maintenance plants. Your fish will like them too.

Hang in there. I know the beginning is always stressful, but time is the key for aquariums. Nothing really happens over night.

Back
Top Bottom