Need Advice on Major oops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A *very* good reason to be fully awake with plenty of light when dosing *anything* in your tank..I got up last night and dosed SuperBuffer DKH. (Bout every 2 weeks, I use 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) well, last night I wasn;t fully awake, it was dark and to make matters worse, the measuring spoons I use are the cheap black plastic from Wally World. I instead added 4 complete tablespoons of SuperBuffer DKH. Today my alk is over 15.5 dkh. I actually expected everything to be in terrible shape but as of right now, the only thing I have noticed is a couple of scales on a few of the fish seem odd. Not like start of ich odd, but like they were nipped. I have not read up on 'hypo' alk, but my guess is either its the extreme change in alk or aggression since Im sure this is completely stressing them all out. Everything else is normal aside from that. They are begging food as normal, shrimp seem a little po'd at me, but so far (little less then 24 hrs) so good. My first inclincation is to wait it out. 2 weeks and it should be well within normal ranges again. However, I fear that (as with most good and bad things in a tank) another 24 - 48 hours may produce bad things..
So...Any suggestions on what to use to lower the alk a couple dkh. At leas into the upper 12.0 range? Was it vinegar I read somewhere or was that for ORP levels?..anyway, looking for, well, advice!

Thanks!

"the solution to pollution is dilution". Water change is always a great place to start. Keep monitoring ALK and CA. A series of 15-20% PWC should help things.

Was my first reaction too. I suppose I have adopted a wait and see attitude on this one. The corals look great, the fish are clearly agitated, but otherwise normal in habits. (They ate like pigs..) I will be monitoring every day running tests, but I think a knee jerk reaction in the other direction would start a spiral and knowing me, thats what will happen. Sheesh, if only I had taken 2 seconds to turn on a light!!

Thanks!

I will be monitoring every day running tests, but I think a knee jerk reaction in the other direction would start a spiral and knowing me, thats what will happen.
You can wait it out if you want but I still strongly suggest water changes. The fresh SW will help restore a balance in your tank more quickly then just waiting.

PC, I would not wait it out. If your tank does not have a high Alk demand, it may be a long wait. The longer your water parameters are off, the more stress it causes your animals. Partial water changes are the way to go here IMO.

Back
Top Bottom