Need advice on moving my Plecos to a larger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VChapman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Pleco who measures 19" from head to tail. I have him in a 50-gallon tank, but just purchased a 75-gallon tank for him. Once I get the new tank set up, I am feeling a bit nervous about the best way to move him. Any ideas?

He shares the tank with five Rummy Nose Tetras. I would like to add other compatible tank mates and would like any ideas on that also.

Victoria

Wow thats a big fish. BIggest I've ever moved was about 11", so not really sure that's the same.

Also, not really sure a 75 is big enough to keep him happy, but as for tankmates plecos are very passive and go well with almost anything.

The only way you can move a pleco of that size safely is to pick it up and carry it to the new tank. 75 gals isn't really big enough for that size a pleco, but better than a 50.

When I purchased my Pleco many years ago he started out in a 10-gallon tank. As he grew I moved him to a 29, and then the 50-gallon. Now I am up to the 75-gallon. I had no idea he would get so big. I am really attached to him, and he seems to be happy and content. I really can't afford a larger tank, but if I am doing him more harm than good I would appreciate any comments on that.

Victoria

upgrade will be good for him.. and the best way to catch him.. is get a bedsheet or a pellow cover.. and net him in that.. he shouldnt get stuck in the fabric as easily as a net.. also make sure you wash it really well in just plain water about 2 cycles... get any soap or fabric softner off of it just to help with the water contamination... Make sure your tanks are pretty close in temp, ph, and you should be good to go... good luck =D

My concern with just picking him up and dropping him into the new tank is that he would not be acclimated to the new conditions. Could he suffer shock if I did it this way?

Victoria

The only way you can move a pleco of that size safely is to pick it up and carry it to the new tank. 75 gals isn't really big enough for that size a pleco, but better than a 50.

+1 that is the only way ur gonna move it. you just have to properly place hands and wear gloves, it helps with grip

My concern with just picking him up and dropping him into the new tank is that he would not be acclimated to the new conditions. Could he suffer shock if I did it this way?

Victoria

use water from old tank, 50%. then refill the 50% in both tanks at same time.....temp will be equal

... fill the tank up, let it heat up.. then make sure your paramiters are close to the same.. you should be good to go.. and the only thing about just picking up a pleco this size.. is the freakin razor sharp fins they have. Glove or no Glove.. it will pierce it. Just like anything from the catfish family.

While he was no where near that size, I did move mine using a really large ziploc bag, it was easy to catch him in that. I guess there is a chance he could pierce that as well.

Personally, I'd be worried about hurting him, trying to grab and carry him, let us know how it goes.

As mentioned above, I would lower the water level and just pick him up. You can actually completely empty the tank, and he will be just fine. Plec's have the ability to remain out of the water for quite some time. I've even heard of people shipping them in just a wet paper towel.

I'd suggest making a custom container. Find a Rubbermaid tub like a cat litterbox or similar, with a footprint such that it just fits into the smaller tank without turning. Cut one end off. Lower the water level as suggested until you can stick the container in so that it just reaches the top of the water level, then you can easily scoop the fish up by moving the container down the length of the tank. That way the bottom of the box completely supports the fish and it won't get hurt. Do use gloves since you may have to keep it from sliding out (extra hands would be good here). I assume we're not talking about carrying it a huge distance here?

As far as acclimation, I think I would lower the temperature slowly until both tanks were just room temperature, no heaters. Then you know they are the same. Plecos can tolerate a wide enough range that room temperature shouldn't be a problem unless there are other less tolerant fish involved. For chemical parameters, Rob28's suggestion seems best. A series of water changes where you just mix the water from the two tanks, or empty the smaller and refill it with water from the larger, while refilling the larger from the tap, will equalize everything so there would be no shock.

Back
Top Bottom