Need Advice on Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.octavia.rollins

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm new to the whole Saltwater Aquariums. I have a neighbor who I bought our tank from & he helps me with it. He has been teaching me a lot about saltwater. Anyway, I have a 135 gallon saltwater (reef) tank! My neighbor has a Powder Blue Tang that I want to get but I also like the other species of Tangs. I've read in a lot of places not to put more than one tang in a tank together but I also read that people have odd number of tangs from different species in 135+ gal tank & they are all fine together as long as there is plenty of live rock for them to hide. Does anyone here have more than one Tang in their tank?? I'm at that point where I am getting different stories to just try it & see what happens.

I have 4 different tangs in my 180g. The thing is not to get the same genus of tangs... Example would be the yellow tang and salfin tang. Both are in the the same genus and fight. I have a blond naso, convict, yellow bellied regal, and a salfin. But with a 135, I'd say no more then 2 and you don't want them to be two big ones. Powder blue and kole would work.

From my understanding to, try not to get 2 tangs that have the same shape or colors. I could be wrong as I don't have a ton of experience with them, it's just wat I've read on different sites

I would add them at the same time, and I challenge anyone to find a tang that is the same color. Yes juvies can be close, but I haven't seen any adults look the same color that were not the same species. Just a thought... Lol

Powder Brown, and a White faced Tang...Lol. But, good point... Those are probably the only two with the same coloration. Never thought of that, I guess it's just body shape to be concerned with. Nice observation, Kio!!

Flreefer said:
Powder Brown, and a White faced Tang...Lol. But, good point... Those are probably the only two with the same coloration. Never thought of that, I guess it's just body shape to be concerned with. Nice observation, Kio!!

Ahhh.. Good point. But still... Got that white cheek... Lmao.

Kio707 said:
Ahhh.. Good point. But still... Got that white cheek... Lmao.

Haha, true.. I had to try, love a challenge!! JK.
I've always followed and suggested the creed, to avoid the same coloration, without even considering that their really aren't any Tangs that are the same color! With VERY minor exception.
Good call...

Back
Top Bottom