Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caveman0777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have researched stuff about aquariums and I wanna start doing this as a hobby, currently all I have is a 20 gallon, and I want 1 betta, 6 neon tetras, and some bottom dwellers... Please give me advice on how to maintain it and recommend some fish I can add to it or not...

Bettas are best kept alone. 6 neon tetras will work. A pair of hatchetfish can fill the the upper level. Pygmy cories or kuhli loaches are great bottom feeders. These are easy fish. Just remember to cycle the tank and isolate new fish for a month.

I heard bettas can coexist with tetras because tretras are fast and are confident in a large enough group...

I agree with librarygirl. Bettas are hit-and-miss in a community tank, although they are a tempting centerpiece fish. I've considered a setup with a betta as a centerpiece, but decided other options were better.

Ok maybe I shouldnt get a betta then, personalities are complicated... Now I must rethink what I should stock my tank with, I'm only a beginner kinda..

Read the link I gave you above. The first thing it covers is cycling and you need to decide whether to do it fishless or fish-in. If you decide fish-in, you'll start with just a few small fish to begin the cycle which can take 3-8 weeks on average. The link has more info.

Back
Top Bottom