Need broad ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tornadonick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to figure out what i am going to next and am looking for ideas. I can fit a maximum of around a 55g tank in my room. I am considering anything from turtle tanks to nano reefs. What do you enjoy most and what are the pros and cons.

Reef tank with community fish like a pair of picasso clowns, a school of cardinalfish, a goby, cuc of course, and something else. But remember this is expensive and hard to maintain.

from, Adam

come on guys, this would be a great time for you to brag about what you have done, or dream about what you want. THen you get the bonus of laughing at me as i attempt to do it. Only one person has thoughts on this?

I have been thinking more and more that i should try a 20g saltwater tank. It is more difficult i know but i would love to try it, but you raise a good point. Just how much am i looking at spending.

Malawi Mbuna cichlids. They're absolutely beautiful and have a personality that rivals just about any other freshwater. My experience is limited to freshwater.

They offer enough of a challenge for an intermediate level fish keeper to be very fun, yet not the difficulty or time sink that a salt water tank is.

Josh said:
Malawi Mbuna cichlids. They're absolutely beautiful and have a personality that rivals just about any other freshwater. My experience is limited to freshwater.

They offer enough of a challenge for an intermediate level fish keeper to be very fun, yet not the difficulty or time sink that a salt water tank is.

I love Malawi tanks and agree that they can match the challenge/ beauty of a saltwater aquarium but many people like that dedication and difficulty. I like both but I would enjoy saltwater more.

from, Adam

Alright everybody, time to buckle down lol. It looks like i am going to have to figure out what i am doing by wednesday. Right now I may actually be getting a smaller bed for a 55 gallon but I am not sure. going to look at tanks and check out a couple stores (if you know of any good ones in central mn please let me know.) I would like time to research everything on what i do decide so any advice is excellent. I like malawi but would that work in a 55. I know discus are supposed to be hard to keep but how hard is that? i am still new at this. how much am i looking at spending with a reef? I will also say, that although i am not apposed to it. I would like to have a big variety between fish instead of a bunch of the same. Also just a little thought, and this doesnt sound the greatest, but i like fish with a little shorter lifespan for the simple matter of changing things up. I am not going to kill them though and am perfectly fine keeping a fish for ten years.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skip the 55g and get a 75g. It's the same length and only 6" wider, so it'll fit in pretty much the same space. Then use that 75g and do a planted tank.

dont think i am planting quite yet. maybe it will end up planted by the end of the cycle who knows. when setting up is there anything i could do right away to help if and when i do plant?

Back
Top Bottom