Need Cycling advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah_hart81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought an aquarium off craig's list that came with fish so I have no choice, but to do a fish in cycle. Right now I have 2 juvenile jewel cichlids (1 is 2 inch the other is 3), 1 acei cichlid and 1 red zebra in a 29 gallon tank (don't worry I'm getting another 55 gallon tank Monday I know the jewels shouldn't be with the other 2). So I've been testing my water for the past 2 days and doing 50% water changes, but I'm worried because my nitrites are crazy high (5 ppm). Should I buy some of those nitrite lowering chemicals? Or just keep doing water changes and wait for nature to take it's course? And when I get the 55 gallon should I do a fishless cycle or immediately add the acei and red zebra? Or maybe just the red zebra since he is huge compared to the other fish in the 29g and chases them endlessly (so far no ones been injured but I am worried).

I would suggest that you finish the cycle in the 29 gallon first since you may be coming to the end if the cycle. Make sure you get a liquid test kit and not the strips for better accuracy. When you gave 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and 5-10 ppm ammonia you are ready. Once that us done you can setup the 55 gallon. Temperature match the water, add dechlorinator and transfer everything from the 29 gallon. That's the gravel, filter media, rocks, plants, ornaments, bog wood etc. this means you can put the fish straight in. If you can get the fish in a bag still acclimatise them properly. Monitor parameters closely for a week before adding more fish. When you do add more fish add a few only reducing numbers the bigger the fish. Also feed lightly.

Good luck

You need to get on WC's now as that is way too high for nitrites. In a fish in cycle you have to test ammonia and nitrites daily (you need an API master test kit) and do a large WC whenever ammonia and or nitrites go above .25ppm. Here is a link that you need to read and follow...I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice.
I have the API master test kit. None of my local stores had one, so I had to order it online and it just arrived 2 days ago, so unfortunately the first week and a half I was flying blind, just doing 50% WC every other day. I have been testing everything Ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily now that I have the kit. Day 1 nitrites were at 5 ppm, so I did a immediately 50% WC. Day 2 they were still at 5 so I did another 50% WC. Day three now and still at 5 ppm. I'm getting really worried about nitrite poisoning. Is there anything more I can do?

Sometimes nitrites get so high it's hard to bring them down to readable levels. You need to do 2 or 3- 50 to 60% WC's with a couple hour wait time in between. Using extra Prime 2-3x the normal amount for the entire tank will help make nitrites less toxic to fish. Do you have plants in the tank?

I agree with rivers, she helped me cycle my 10 gal and her Info has helped me cycle 4 other tanks I have running right now. (1 is getting closer to finishing its cycle. The other 3 still getting there)

I had a huge problem with nitrites with a fish in cycle. I had to do 3 water changes of 5 gallons (only a 10 gal mind you) back to back. I would do 1 wait an hr do another and another with an hr in between. I did this for several days to keep them down. Everyday I went back they were sky high again and so the cycle continued.
Finally today, I check my tests and my tank is finally cycled. After 3/4 weeks of hard work.

Deff do big water changes and back to back if you have to keep them down. And like Janis said use prime! And a little extra. My little guys have survived this whole time going through a novice taking care of them and are doing great.

I wish you luck!

No plants in the tank as of now, but I definitely think I need some. I tested my water straight from the tap and it comes out with a 40 ppm nitrate level. Under 10 is whats best right? And plants can help bring that number down a bit? Any other tips for getting my nitrates under control? Also I know cichlids are rough on plants. Any tips for plants that can survive their destructive ways? Sheesh! Who knew having fish was so complicated?! I remember when I was a kid (back in the preinternet days) we would just buy some fish throw em in a tank and hope for the best. Most of them died of course, but back then I had no idea I was doing anything wrong. Now I feel like a mad scientist with all my beakers and chemicals running tests all day.

Thanks I will definitely hit River up for more advice. I'm actually cycling a 10 gallon right now as well. When I bought my 29 gallon off craig's list it came with fish that soooo did not belong together so I took out the mollies and african dwarf frog out and put them in an empty 10g I had.

If your 29 gal is cycled, do a test real quick and see ammonia nitrite and nitrates. If it is cycled use some media from that tank in the 10! It would probably be smooth sailing for you in that case.
Gravel, decor, and filter media all carry beneficial bacteria!

Your going to have a rough time with in tank plants with those fish. Here's something that would greatly help with nitrates... Planted HOB thread..

Floating plants like Frogbit and Water Lettuce will use a lot of nitrates also.

40ppm of nitrates in your tap water is not good! Honestly it would be best after cycling to use RO water cut with Tap water to get your nitrate level way down. You'd have to do 75% RO to 25% Tap water. This would be you best option.

Would spring water help in that case if RO was not available for them?

Honestly I've never used spring water but many people do. Before using it I would test it for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and ph just to be sure all levels are 0.

Okay an RO unit it is then. Home Depot has 1 in my price range and I'm not opposed to spending the $150 on it because honestly now that I've tested my water I'm a little freaked out to drink it wondering what all is in there. Why did I think fish would be a nice easy to care for inexpensive pet? After I get the new 55g tank and RO unit plus all the goodies I've already bought I'll have spent $700 in 2 weeks!

Follow up question on RO unit- does it filter out chlorine or do I still need to use the dechlorinating chems?

Follow up question on RO unit- does it filter out chlorine or do I still need to use the dechlorinating chems?

No you don't need to dechorinate it. Here is the unit I've used for a few years. I like it because I can attach it to the faucet and make water in 2 gallon handled jugs to store and then put it away when I'm done. I have the Pro-100 unit. It also comes with a TDS meter and at least one 2 gallon jug....

portable countertop reverse osmosis drinking water system - remove fluoride, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, prescription drugs and more

Thank you so much Rivercats, you have been such a huge help with all my questions. I ordered the unit you recommended. I like it so much better than the GE unit I was looking at since it's portable and doesn't need to be installed under the sink (I am really not handy with stuff like that). So I read that I should introduce the new water slowly so I don't stress the fish. How would you recommend doing that? Maybe 10% each week until I get my nitrates to an acceptable level? I tried googling it and I just couldn't find an answer.

The way to do it would be when you do your 50% WC do 25% RO to 25% Tap. That will start the fish with 75% tap and only 25% RO which is fine. The next week do a 50% RO to 50% tap. The third week do 75% RO to 25% tap. This won't shock them but improve your water greatly. Doing this mix you will only be introducing 10ppm of nitrates. Then if you can get some good plants in that like nitrates I think you'll be good.

Now you will have to watch your PH. If you notice it begins to fall at first it's okay BUT keep watching it because in 3-6 weeks after starting your RO regime you might find it falls too low. You may have to start adding just a bit baking soda or one of the Seachem products that remineralize. But let's cross this bridge if it happens. No use getting ahead of ourselves. You don't want ph to fall below 6.6. Honestly getting an API dual Gh and Kh test kit would be a good idea also. If you get one as long as your Gh and Kh do not fall below 3 you'll be good.

I suggest getting some type of gallon or 2 gallon holding containers. I make 16-20 gallons at a time and I set the timer for about 30ish minutes give or take. The temp of the tap water will make the unit work faster or slower. You'll get it down over time. And don't be a dummy like me and forget to set the timer.... can you say watery mess!

Back
Top Bottom