Need fish ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatPlantedGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. I'm thinking about setting up a South AMERICAN dwarf cichlid planted community tank.

1. I need to know what kind of tank to get. I was thinking of a 20 gallon? But maybe even 25-30. I don't have much room.

2. Also I need a quiet filter as it would be in my bedroom.

3. Fish ideas, I wanted to keep maybe 4 pairs or trios of cichlids. Also I want at least 15 tetras with a group of some kind of corys corys and maybe 2 bushynose plecos.

Anyway thanks you guys have been a big help to me so far!

20Long is versatile and good for growing plants. Enough floor for Cories.
But be aware, some Rams once paired up may blind or harass Cories relentlessly.

You might look at Apistos ?
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/apistogramma-cacatuoides/

Or if you want a nice healthy pair of Rams talk to Coralbandit on here.

29g is a decent size also.

Don't try trios with Dwarf Cichlids. AFAIK the extra will get bullied or killed.

I use either AquaClear HOB or I also have an Eheim Ecco Canister that runs silent. I have custom Lily Pipes for that Canister.

Depending on species you MIGHT fit 2 pairs of Dwarf Cichlids in a 20-30g. They need territories.
They want floor space.

Then you can get Neons or Glowlight Tetras.

You need to decide if you want to breed or just enjoy a community tank.

Last edited:
20Long is versatile and good for growing plants. Enough floor for Cories.
But be aware, some Rams once paired up may blind or harass Cories relentlessly.

You might look at Apistos ?
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/apistogramma-cacatuoides/

Or if you want a nice healthy pair of Rams talk to Coralbandit on here.

29g is a decent size also.

Don't try trios with Dwarf Cichlids. AFAIK the extra will get bullied or killed.

I use either AquaClear HOB or I also have an Eheim Ecco Canister that runs silent. I have custom Lily Pipes for that Canister.
what is AFAIK?

Also do you have any ideas besides rams? What about agassiz's and dwarf geophagus? Just a thought.Do you know of any tetras that would be happy in a school of 20 in a tank like this? How's many corys should i have

what is AFAIK?

Also do you have any ideas besides rams? What about agassiz's and dwarf geophagus? Just a thought.Do you know of any tetras that would be happy in a school of 20 in a tank like this? How's many corys should i have

AFAIK = As far as I know

I mentioned Apistos...agassizi are Apistos. I linked some info.

Mikrogeophagus are Rams and Bolivian Rams.

Bolivian Rams are easier to start out with.

"Dwarf" Geophagus ? Need bigger tanks. Dwarf meaning 5-6" instead of 12". They need groups and will destroy planted tanks. Regular Geophagus are Earth Eaters and dig holes all over.

Cories ? Depends on the species.
C habrosus ? 20
C aeneus ? 6

Depending on what Cichlids you pick, Neons or Glowlights would be great. I have 15 Neons so far in my 55g. Planning to add more later.

AFAIK = As far as I know

I mentioned Apistos...agassizi are Apistos. I linked some info.

Mikrogeophagus are Rams and Bolivian Rams.

Bolivian Rams are easier to start out with.

"Dwarf" Geophagus ? Need bigger tanks. Dwarf meaning 5-6" instead of 12". They need groups and will destroy planted tanks. Regular Geophagus are Earth Eaters and dig holes all over.

Cories ? Depends on the species.
C habrosus ? 20
C aeneus ? 6

Depending on what Cichlids you pick, Neons or Glowlights would be great. I have 15 Neons so far in my 55g. Planning to add more later.
Thanks guy (as a collective noun ?)

Yeah that sounds great! Hey how much do hasbrosus cost? Also do you think that I could get a few hatchet fish for the top, maybe like 4? Any quiet internals?

If you want something a little less common go for nannacara anomala, or if you want a more specialized setup you could try checkerboard cichlids

Thanks guy (as a collective noun [emoji23])

Yeah that sounds great! Hey how much do hasbrosus cost? Also do you think that I could get a few hatchet fish for the top, maybe like 4? Any quiet internals?

C habrosus ? Depends on your area. I live in the San Francisco East Bay Area. I have 2 independent stores that stock them. I pay $3-$5 a fish ? One store gives you a better price, the more you buy. They aren't common in chain stores, but some stores can order them. Or buy online from Wetspot.
They are seasonal, not available year round in some places.

Hatchets need a tight lid and floating plants. Any social fish you want 6 or more if you have room.

Internals ? I dislike them as they take up room in the tank and some you have to lower your water level to run them. Canisters are the quietest. AquaClears are the quietest of the HOBs. I have 2 tanks in my bedroom now. I've run up to 3 in my room. I'm a very light sleeper.

My 10g next to my bed has a 6yr old cheap Aqueon HOB. As long as my water level is kept up, my filter is very quiet. If there is a vibration I check the filter and sometimes slightly adjust how it sits and it will be quiet again. One filter I added a foam piece to level it and no more noise.

In small Shrimp tanks or breeding tanks , people use foam filters. But I don't like looking at them myself and bubblers aren't used in most Planted tanks.

Might wanna get your params first. See what fauna is best suited. My two cents

Back
Top Bottom