Need Help Choosing Substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoganY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I hope I am in the right forum category please forgive me if I am not. I have a question about substrate. I plan on getting a Senegal bichir and I have heard that they sometimes eat small aquarium rocks by mistake and can die. So I was considering sand and decided I would not like sand. So now after some searching I want some black river rocks that range in size from 1-2 inches. I think that if a bichir were to get one of these rocks in its mouth it would spit it out because of its size. I just wanted to be sure if these are aquarium safe because they are polished and the description does not specify if they are aquarium safe or not. I will add a link to the rocks I might get on amazon so please tell me what you guys think. Also if you guys think they would not be good can you please give me an alternative substrate based on your own experience. If you think that sand is the best option I will get sand but then please tell me what brand and type of sand is best (I would prefer black sand if I absolutely had to use sand). I have tried researching different brands and types of sand but based on lots of searching I couldn’t decide if any sand was both smooth and fine enough to not cause internal damage to a bichir. My other concern with sand is if I got smooth fine sand how would I keep it from drifting all the time because of a large bichir moving around. Thanks in advance for any replies.

http://www.amazon.com/Margo-Black-P...black+river+rocks&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Hi, I can only take an educated guess here. The large pebbles may be a problem as food will fall between them. Otherwise as long as there is no varnish on the pebbles (or any other coating), then they should be fine. I confess I was thinking of the black sand but have never tried these fish.

Back
Top Bottom