Need Help Deciding: new tanks PLEASE READ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueyedbombshel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been on a 5 year break from owning any fish tanks. Recently I have had a strong interest in starting back up again. I have a career and got permissions to have a fish tank (I'm thinking somewhere from 3-5 gallons) and also wanting to set up something a bit larger at home. I am not a beginner: I used to have 5 different tanks and one had discus. I'm fluent in low lighting planted tanks and I am excited to embark my new journey in fishkeeping again.

My first tank at my office I was thinking tiger endlers and cherry shrimp. It would have some java fern and some crypts. Please feel free to add what you think what else would be good...

My second at home I can't decide between a 10, 20 or 30. It's being placed on a large part of my kitchen counter that is unused and will be far away from food but in a good viewing spot. I am strongly favored to apistogramma. However, I have been trying to do research on weither or not it is a good idea to put apisto trifasciata and Bolivian rams together. The size of my tank will depend on that. I have read from some sources that as long as the tank is heavily planted with dithering fish (tetras, pencils, etc) then they should coexist peacefully. If this is not a good idea (some sources say no due to aggression at spawning) then I would like to know if a trio of breeding pairs would work on either of the species listed above. Please be opinionated! I have been pondering for week and I'm anxious to get started ;)

-aao

If you do a 10g then I suggest a puffer tank or badis pair. 20g Id go an apisto harem over other Rams, other options, you could do a shell dweller tank. Or for a 30 then I think if it's heavily planted enough with enough objects to establish territories and so forth then apistos and Rams would work with enough smaller fish.

Perfect :) yea I'm also considering tiger endlers now just for a 10 maybe some cherry or crystal shrimp? I maybe will look into the 30 later once I get started after this

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Glad I could help. It's definitely easier to establish one tank before moving onto another. I wouldn't hesitate putting a scarlet badis pair in a ten with a strong pop. of RCS but if you choose the endlers they're still pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom