Need help deciding what size!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lochnessholly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey! Some of you may remember me. I currently have a 5 gallon which i thought was a ten and am about to purchase a new tank so my platies Are happy.

I can't decide between a 29 and a 55. I found a 55 for 45$ on Craigslist which seems like a good deal. I just wonder about the upkeep and if it would be more than I could handle? Any advice is welcomed!

You may as well get the largest tank you can; you'll probably want to upgrade in the future if you got the 29 anyway. There isn't much difference in maintenance between a 29 and a 55. Get a good filter; a canister is preferred for a tank that size. Eheim and Fluval make good ones. Also get a water changer you can use from your faucet so you aren't lugging buckets around, makes water changes much easier. Aqueon makes a good water changer that I use.

I have a 55 gal tank and have 15 fish in it and find its very easy to maintain the tank. I run to hob filters and do about 30% pwc weekly and all my levels are great. Like said before your better getting one bigger then you need cause you always want a bigger tank.

I'd imagine your major benefit would be more fish and options. Plus, like LibraryGirl said, you'll already be taking care of the inevitable "tank envy."

The only drawbacks I can think of would be the extra 200lbs of weight and (for example) 25% PWCs would go from 7-8 gallons up to 14 gallons. Depending on how you transfer the water, direct from a tap source wouldn't make a difference, but lugging buckets might be.

Of course, i'm VERY new, so take my post with a grain of salt. :)

Yeah, water changes are what I'm most worried about. Currently I do a 50% change on my 5 every week.

Would it cycle faster if I used the filter from my current tank? I'm wanting to make it a planted tank, I think. Just want my platies happy :(

Go big or go home!

beteedubs (btw), Larger tanks are known to be easier to care for. They allow for more "mistakes" because of the larger volume of water. Water changes are relative. A lightly stocked tank does not need as large of a water change as a heavily stocked tank.

Back
Top Bottom