Need help from some Puffer experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, first off I have a dwarf puffer in a freshwater tank.

But my issue is common among all puffers and I am guessing there are more salties with puffers than over in the FW section . Here is what I posted over there:

My little guy has a bloated belly tonight. It usually rounds out after he eats and is full but it doesn't look right this time. I have read a lot about puffers being prone to internal parasites and I am curious as to whether or not this could be worms (and if so ways I can de-worm him safely).

TIA to all the wonderful salties and I look forward to joining you in 10 years when I am rich and have the room for a SW tank lol

I have no real experience with SW puffers, but I do with FW / BR. Ironic huh? lol

What type of puffer and tank details? Did this appear suddenly? What are you feeding it / them?

It is a 10 gallon tank. All levels were normal when I did pwc yesterday but I will be checking them again in the morning. Am-0 Ni-0 Na- <5.

He is Carinotetraodons - Dwarf Puffer. I thought he looked a little bloated last night but it was after feeding him. That is normal, he rounds out a little when he is full. But tonight he almost looks prego. For a minute I thought maybe he was a she but he is the only one in the tank! I am feeding him brine shrimp and there are a couple snails in the tank but he only ate one or two of them over the course of the last two weeks.

When I first got him he ate the brine shrimp fine. Then he wouldn't eat them at all. So I got some snails and after I put them in I didn't see him for like 3 weeks (I had to move plants around to find him) Then he started taking the brine shrimp again this week.

They are, I know that. Thanks though lol :) I also know that there is a better chance of more puffer experts in the saltie side because there are more puffers in saltwater. :)

I used to have Figure 8 puffers years ago and they are very hardy. Mine never puffed at all though until I almost sucked him up a hose one day. He threw up after that, I appologized and we got along great after that. I acclimated him to SW and put him in a 55 with a jawfish and clowns, did great for years until the crash of 02'. Lost everyone. They only get extended bellies from eating too many earthworm pieces or snails. Mine never got sick or worms that I can remember. Following along as I plan on setting up another puffer tank. They are cool little fish.

YEs they are, I enjoy my little guy a lot. He can be shy but he is like a dog when he isn't [being shy] lol. Maybe he just ate a snail or something, going to check on him as soon as I get my little one down for a nap!

He is fine, I think he was just super full lol. His belly bloated like that last night when I fed him as well. It just caught me off guard because it didn't seem like his belly got that round after he ate before.. but I have been keeping an eye on him and he is happy as can be :D I am paranoid about him getting sick since he is my first fish lol

Very cool. Glad to hear he's just a fat, happy fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom