Need help ID-ing these please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
I got a bit excited at the LFS yesterday and let an employee with the same Nano set-up help me decide what to put in mine. I am pretty sure of the names of 2 of these but one I forgot. Please help me , thanks,
I am assuming the pulsating clearish-orangeish coral is Xenia? The small clump-Green garden of stemed buttons is a Zoanthis?? The purple carpet of bumps with only one green guy showing ( looks like a chia pet) ,(more were out earlier) ???

Your right about the xenia and zoas, the last thing looks like it could be a mat of green star polyps but we'll be able to tell more once the polyps open up.

Thanks for the reply Cindy, the green guy amongst the purple bumps was one of hundreds yesterday, they seem to have retracted today, only the one out right now.Would that be because there is a snail on him all day ? So, Would that make it a zoa or star polyp? , or do I need a better photo to tell? I hope I'm not being too ignorant about this stuff :-?, thanks for your help.

Your definately not being ignorant about it, you don't know til you ask. :)
I'm thinking the reason the one is out is because it is a zoa, the rest would be star polyps but since they would be green, they may look simular. The polyps may not open for a few days until they become completely acclimated to your tank lights etc. but once they do, you should have a lush green carpet. And, if they are happy, they spread pretty quickly. Just give them a bit of time.

Alright, thanks ! I'll just sit back and wait until it comes out, I barely remember what it looked like in the store so it will be a nice surprise when I come home and it's out.

Aren't you still cycling that tank? Or is this for a different tank? Putting life in a tank that still measures nitrites (even if using Prime) is kind of like playing with fire, in my opinion.

Kurt,
your right, that would be insane ! :uzi::(

No, this is my small Pico reef tank, it's all healthy. I should have started my 37 with LR , if I had asked my wife she would have told me so:p

Anyways, different tank, yes I have dove back into an old hobby head first, as in a months time I have 2 SW tanks running and a 3rd hospital set up.:silly:

Joey
who is going broke one trip to the LFS at a tiime.

Gotcha. Sorry if that came out wrong, but I try not to "assume" anything here with folks and wasn't sure what tank we were talking about. Glad to hear it was your other tank.

And I wouldn't say it'd be insane to do it... just kind of waste of money!

Back
Top Bottom