Please help identify this invader!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ripa89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there,

Earlier today I added quite a few bunches of Hornwort to my Blackworm culture tank to help keep up with the water quality as well as provide organic matter to sustain feedings for the black worms.

Shortly after I saw some of these small larva type bugs swimming around - at first I thought they were just needles falling off the Hornwort but now I see that they are free swimming, and I believe that I saw one eating a live blackworm.

Does anybody have any Idea what they may be? I have searched many websites but have not been able to find anything.

They are very small - they look about the size and shape of a small Christmas tree pine needle and seem to swim in decent directed control. Please see the YouTube video below. It is hard to see in the video, but it looks like they have a very small set of swimming appendages(fins?) at the thickest part of their body.

I apologize about the low quality video, but it was very hard to get one to show up on camera. Although there is only one in this video there are many more swimming about and resting in the Hornwort.

I am not going to feed from this tank until I have a 100% confirmation on what they may be.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom